Panstarrs and the galaxies

Ater my effort on Friday (22nd May) I hoped to have a second crack at comet C/2017 T2 PANSTARRS in the vicinity of Messiers 81 and 82, with it better placed for the composition of the image.  A number of weather forecast sites promsed clear skies, and indeed in the early evening things were clearing up nicely.  With Astronomical twilight being the best on offer I decided to image between 12.30 and 1.30 to get the darkest sky available.  But when I went out around 11.30 to make a leisurely start - HORROR!  solid cloud cover 🥴

It wasn't until almost 1 am that things cleared enough for me to start aligning etc., so 1.15 before I started imaging in earnest, and by 2 am the sky had lightened so much that the background was excessive.  So in the end I only had 7 subs to play with, the later ones with a rather light background and the combined image had a very noisy background and generally poor contrast.  Much processing later and this is the result, but not what I'd hoped for.  Anybody else successful, perhaps from further South with darker clearer skies?

Canon 700D with TSFLAT2 on TMB105 refractor (650 mm focal length).  7 subs x 5 minutes at ISO1600.

Cheers,

Peter

Pangals.jpg

• Like 10