Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter, Io and a bit of luck!

maw lod qan

Got out this morning to try and take a few images of the three morning planets. Immediately upon looking through the eyepiece I saw three moons visible to the upper left viewed. Now with the flip that makes it lower right in real life, right?

Told myself, must be one behind the planet.

Did a little observing, then changed over to my camera mount, Canon with a 2x barlow 23mm lens, eyepiece projection.

It was a bit windy, viewing not the best, the main equatorial bands visible but not clear.

Took a bunch of images, changing ISO and exp to get the moons, even though it turns Jupiter into a light bulb.

Moved to Saturn, then seeing clouds moving in turned to the tiny red speck of Mars.

Went back in and transferred the images to the computer. When I got looking at them, I realized I had caught Io just as it transited across the front of Jupiter.

The viewing wasnt good enough for me to capture it with Jupiter behind it, but definitely got it leaving the disk.

Oh to have a better camera and tracking mount. One day! One day!

Edited by maw lod qan
  • Like 4