NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

FireWire to USB 2.0 adaptor for IS cameras

GazOC

My FireWire equipped laptop has finally given up the ghost leaving me high and dry with my old Imaging Source cameras. I know there are adaptors out there but reviews are mixed on a lot of them, does anyone have experience of one that works in this particular situation?

cheers

3 minutes ago, GazOC said:

My FireWire equipped laptop has finally given up the ghost leaving me high and dry with my old Imaging Source cameras. I know there are adaptors out there but reviews are mixed on a lot of them, does anyone have experience of one that works in this particular situation?

I've struggled to find anything I'd consider reasonably-priced to solve this particular problem.  The FireWire PC cards I've found for laptops don't seem to provide power output, just the data connections.  I believe it's possible to get power injectors that basically take a power connection from a wall-wart and a 4-pin FireWire connection from a computer and provide a 6-pin connection for a peripheral, but actually finding one for sale has thus far defeated me.

When I looked for anything that would plug into a USB port I really only came away with the impression that certainly for USB2 it was a bit of a non-starter because FireWire data rates can be so much higher than USB2 will handle.

James

It could well be :(  Assuming of course you can find one these days.

Unless you fancy buying a very modern laptop with Thunderbolt.  There are Thunderbolt to FireWire converters.  I have one for the MacBook.  No idea how well it would work on non-Macs though, I'm afraid.

James

• Like 1