Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Safe DIY storage solutions for OTAs.

Rumbold2010

Hi All,

I’ve recently pimped our a couple of plastic storage tubs for my OTA’s and am ( was) very happy with them. That was until a fellow astronomer contact pointed out that foam and contact adhesives can be problematic and give off fumes that could potentially damage my OTA’s glass. Now, with this in mind, I went and checked the glue and foam and the glue is solvent free and the foam high density acoustic foam. I think all should be ok, but with excessive caution my preferred approach, I just thought in would seek other opinions. Any anecdotal or other views on this?

Thanks as always all, stay safe and clear skies! 

Andrew 

80C70141-3766-4098-A689-CD04330FF61D.jpeg

he's raised a reasonable concern as many don't realise till too late, esp with stuff like superglue. If you can leave them empty and open to air out for a while, like a week or so, in the warm they'd likely be fine. I've used leather glue and contact adhesive to re-stick lining in binocular cases etc and they've been ok but I tend to leave them for at least a week before using for storage.

Edited by DaveL59

10 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

he's raised a reasonable concern as many don't realise till too late, esp with stuff like superglue. If you can leave them empty and open to air out for a while, like a week or so, in the warm they'd likely be fine

Thanks a lot for your view - to be 100% sure, I’ve removed my OTA from its case - I’ll leave the cases open in the garage / garden for a few more days just to be sure - I’ve only just Got my new scope so last thing I want to do is damage it! 

Best

Andrew