NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Starlight Xpress sxv-m9 information please

Hello SGL

I am looking at a used old (2004 ish if I'm correct) starlight Xpress sxv-m9 and guide head.

I have been googling my bottom off but I cannot find any information/review of the camera apart from the manual and a few vague references.

What I know:

Small format big pixels. (752x582)

The sensor active area I'm not sure of as the manual states in 2 separate places 2 different values, 6.5mm X 4.8mm,  and 8.72mm X 6.5mm.

Pixel size: massive (11.6um X 11.2um)

Quantum efficiency: 60% at 520nm from the icx423al sensor whatever that means. I  mean I know the higher the efficiency the more sensitive but that is just a number for me at this point.

It has a lot of useful features such as star2000, but it comes with a guider head so it wouldn't be needed.

Now the questions:

What it is like to use?

Aa beginner I have only used a mirror less Olympus camera and haven't done guiding yet since I have no guide camera. So if it doesn't work out as an imaging camera I could use it as a guide cam.

How durable are these?

It is old 16 years give or take.

Would it work in Windows 10? I think it does but I would like confirmation.

What is it worth? I really not want to overpay on a possible gamble.

I am looking to use it on my sct for small and bright and I will buy a refractor or a 6" Newtonian for "wider" fov.

Is it cooled? 

In the manual the intro states cooled, could anyone confirm/expand on that please.

Lastly anything else I should know?

Bare in mind I like older unused unloved older equipment even though I could get much better and/or easier results with newer.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks 

Greg

Thanks Stuart

I'm off to Google it.

I don't suppose you would know what would be a sensible price for a camera like this.

What I left out of my essay is that I don't have a lot of money...

Shocking isn't it... 😀

Hmm.

I looked up the atik 314L and I think it has a different sensor. Icx285al

The starlight Xpress sxv-h9 has the same sensor but the sxv-m9 according to the manual has the icx423al

I have been looking at the datasheets for both and the icx285al seems to have better sensitivity on different wavelengths than the icx423al.

That makes me want to ask the question: Is the sxv-m9 going to be much more sensitive than my Olympus e-pl7?

I want to think yes but I really don't know enough. I wonder if anyone can help with this?

Thank you

Greg

ICX423AL.pdf ICX285AL.pdf

1 hour ago, Gregely said:

Hmm.

I looked up the atik 314L and I think it has a different sensor. Icx285al

The starlight Xpress sxv-h9 has the same sensor but the sxv-m9 according to the manual has the icx423al

I have been looking at the datasheets for both and the icx285al seems to have better sensitivity on different wavelengths than the icx423al.

That makes me want to ask the question: Is the sxv-m9 going to be much more sensitive than my Olympus e-pl7?

I want to think yes but I really don't know enough. I wonder if anyone can help with this?

Thank you

Greg

ICX423AL.pdf 161.49 kB · 0 downloads ICX285AL.pdf 198.07 kB · 0 downloads

It will be more sensitive, and they are good cameras, I owned one years ago and it was excellent....I have since moved on and up in sensor size... sorry I have you the wrong info, I got the two camera mixed up... 👍

Thank you for the replies.

Even though incorrect I still learned a lot from the resulting searches, plus you are the only one with input so far. 

I think I am going to go for it I just hope I don't overpay.