NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar Viewing/Imaging Advice

Hi All,

I am considering purchasing a Daystar quark Chromosphere eyepiece to use in conjunction with my altair 60EDF and Skywatcher ED80 scopes. Along with this, i will get an astronomik L1 UV/IR Blocking filter. My query is, do i still need to use the field flatteners when solar viewing / imaging ?

Thanks in advance John

John

I use a glass solar filter on my ED80, and you can also get Baader visual solar film as well, and make up your own

Attached pic was  taken late year at club solar day showing my ED80 on EQ5pro mount

Scope in background with camera attached, is also an ED80 on a HEQ5 mount

John

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

Edited by cletrac1922

44 minutes ago, johngm said:

Hi All,

I am considering purchasing a Daystar quark Chromosphere eyepiece to use in conjunction with my altair 60EDF and Skywatcher ED80 scopes. Along with this, i will get an astronomik L1 UV/IR Blocking filter. My query is, do i still need to use the field flatteners when solar viewing / imaging ?

Thanks in advance John

No, you do not use the field flatteners.

Also, a Baader 35Nm hydrogen alpha filter makes a better ERF than a UV/IR filter. It blocks a LOT more heat than the UV/IR filter.

• Like 1

I'm awaiting delivery of the quark cromosphere. The advice that I was given was with the ED 80 was no other filter was essential. However,  again based on advice from here I've opted for the baader HA 35nm filter instead of the UV/IR cut offerings. Can't help on the flattener as I'm visual only.

Steve

3 minutes ago, Zakalwe said:

No, you do not use the field flatteners.

Also, a Baader 35Nm hydrogen alpha filter makes a better ERF than a UV/IR filter. It blocks a LOT more heat than the UV/IR filter.

Thanks for the Advice Zak 👍

John

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steve Clay said:

I'm awaiting delivery of the quark cromosphere. The advice that I was given was with the ED 80 was no other filter was essential. However,  again based on advice from here I've opted for the baader HA 35nm filter instead of the UV/IR cut offerings. Can't help on the flattener as I'm visual only.

Steve

Ha 35nm ? are you refering to the 3.5nm ? cannot see a 35nm. Do you have a link please

Cheers

9 minutes ago, Steve Clay said:

I'm awaiting delivery of the quark cromosphere. The advice that I was given was with the ED 80 was no other filter was essential.

Daystar now say that energy-rejection is required on all systems that track the Sun. Even a small 80mm will focus a lot of heat onto the Quark, and whilst it has has some ERF in the unit I'm of the belief that extra filtering will stop that heat load having to be dealt with by the Quark. it's certainly easier to use an ERF than having to return the Quark for servicing.

http://www.daystarfilters.com/downloads/QuarkFlyer.pdf

Edited by Zakalwe

2 hours ago, Zakalwe said:

Daystar now say that energy-rejection is required on all systems that track the Sun. Even a small 80mm will focus a lot of heat onto the Quark, and whilst it has has some ERF in the unit I'm of the belief that extra filtering will stop that heat load having to be dealt with by the Quark. it's certainly easier to use an ERF than having to return the Quark for servicing.

http://www.daystarfilters.com/downloads/QuarkFlyer.pdf

Yep totally agree hence me getting the HA filter.

• Like 1