Set-up process

Have I been making a mistake all this time?

Speaking to a fellow astronomer today with a similar EQ newtonian.

Realised he leaves his tube rings on his OTA permanently and just removes the dovetail from the mount.

I always undo my tube rings and put the OTA in it's box on it's own.

Am I weird??

🤔

I leave the rings and dovetail bar on the scope. Seems like less fiddle on setting up. There is a knack to getting my big old Newt aligned with the mount.

To be honest, if I was so inclined to develop a mounting system for big OTA's it wouldn't bare any resemblance to these here dovetail systems. I think it's a system being overstretched for the sake of universality... :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Paul M said:

I leave the rings and dovetail bar on the scope. Seems like less fiddle on setting up. There is a knack to getting my big old Newt aligned with the mount.

To be honest, if I was so inclined to develop a mounting system for big OTA's it wouldn't bare any resemblance to these here dovetail systems. I think it's a system being overstretched for the sake of universality... :)

Totally agree with that!

I feel a bit safer adjusting balance by sliding in slightly loose tube rings rather than moving the dovetail.

Oh well, works for me!

• Like 1

On 12/05/2020 at 19:58, Paul M said:

I leave the rings and dovetail bar on the scope. Seems like less fiddle on setting up.

I do the exact same with my 200 PDS on a HEQ5 w/ADM saddle.  By far the easiest.  I have rotated my OTA so that the focuser/camera/eyepiece 'points inwards', towards the mount, for balancing purposes.  If I opened the rings each time and removed the OTA, I would have to realign this again every time I set up.

• Like 1