NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which wide field refractor for imaging under £400

Hi all, first of all I am very new to this.

I have had some success using my dads skymax 127 but at 1500 focal length I have only been able to see small bright DSO's like m82 and m57. However, because the tracking on his altazmuth mount isn't great I was limited to 20 second exposures with a dslr. Since then I have ordered a Skywatcher EQ3 pro goto mount and also want to order a guide scope and guide camera so I can get into some long exposures.
Telescope wise, I know the skymax 127 at 1500 focal length isn't ideal for a lot of the targets that I want to attempt to shoot and is also very unforgiving so I am looking for a wide field refractor to pair with the mount I have ordered. 

The two I have been looking at at the Skywatcher EVOSTAR 72 ED and the Altair starwave ascent 70ED. On paper, the skywatcher seems like a better scope unless I am missing something (which I most likely am) but there is a £115 price difference. Can someone please let me know if either of these are even suitable to do DSO imaging, what the differences are and what I can expect image quality wise. Furthermore, if there are any other refractors people recommend at these sort of price points then please let me know.

Altair 70ED: https://www.altairastro.com/altair-starwave-ascent-70ed-telescope-464-p.asp

Skywatcher 72ED: https://www.altairastro.com/evostar-72ed-ds-pro-ota-72mm-f58-ed-apoc-refractor-522-p.asp

Finally, with the skymax 127 all I needed was a t ring adapter and I could attach my dslr (cannon 1300d) straight to the scope. With either of these scopes is it the same or do I need a field flattener or extension?

Thanks everyone in advance  

Edited by AndrewOlliver

• 1 month later...

Either of these instruments should work well for wide field astrophotography. You will need a field flattener / extender for reach focus. I use a basic Skywatcher field flattener (can be found under different brand names) which does both and  works well. Your T ring screws on the back of the flattener to attach your camera

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reducersflatteners/stellamira-2-field-flattener-with-m48-adapter.html

Check the weight limit on your mount first.

Not sure the Sky-Watcher seems the better scope. The Altair includes a diagonal and eyepiece which could make up the difference in price. It may also have a slightly better build quality and I know from experience of the 102ed it has a very good focuser. But I don’t think you’d tell any difference in results.