Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to process UHC frames

Sorry, that's gone way beyond my knowledge level!  

There's a thread about colour gamuts and spaces (I think) here:

and some more here:

There isn't universal agreement about all the statements made in the two threads.  I use sRGB.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, almcl said:

Sorry, that's gone way beyond my knowledge level!  

There's a thread about colour gamuts and spaces (I think) here:

and some more here:

There isn't universal agreement about all the statements made in the two threads.  I use sRGB.

Morning Al,

Nice articles.  After some thought and a lot of experimenting I find 2 things.  1)  ufraw-batch (which is the Linux raw converter I used to use) had a terminal bug and is being discontinued.  I think my past use of it meant I didn't have to worry about colourspace. So now I need to actively select sRGB.  2) I'm going to revert to my previous SkyWatcher light polution filter.  UHC is just too hard at the moment with its vastly reduced red response.  When I amplify the red component, I get a huge amount of red noise (as you did too).

I might also experiment with an OAG to stop those little maggots wandering around my images.  What is the model you use, please?  I might guess that the size of prism is important for light capture.

Regards

Steve.

I think leaving the UHC filter aside for now is probably wise.  

My Canon specific OAG came from TSS: this one.  Not sure if there's a Nikon specific one but if not the prism is 7mm wide and sits well outside the of the sensor's field of view

Edited by almcl
  • Like 1