Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

balancing scope

38 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

Hi all when balancing scope are you better off with a completely balanced scope/weights or very slightly scope front end or back end or weight ? .

If that makes sense .

Thanks

It depends on the amount of backlash. Ideally backlash being low you would balance it perfectly to place less preasure on the mating surfaces of the gears and to reduce the load on the motors. However, if as is often the case with budget mounts (think less than 2k) backlash is present in significant quantities then you will want to bias towards east heavy in RA. In Declination it i will depend on how good your Polar alignment is as to if you will and to perfectly balance or not. However in most instances you will not be able to as you will find balance will shift with dec position, in this case and in the expectation that there will be a reasonable amount of backlash on your EQ5 I would recomend that you make the mirror end of you 130PDS very very slightly heavy.

Adam

• Thanks 1

On 02/05/2020 at 01:20, Adam J said:

It depends on the amount of backlash. Ideally backlash being low you would balance it perfectly to place less preasure on the mating surfaces of the gears and to reduce the load on the motors. However, if as is often the case with budget mounts (think less than 2k) backlash is present in significant quantities then you will want to bias towards east heavy in RA. In Declination it i will depend on how good your Polar alignment is as to if you will and to perfectly balance or not. However in most instances you will not be able to as you will find balance will shift with dec position, in this case and in the expectation that there will be a reasonable amount of backlash on your EQ5 I would recomend that you make the mirror end of you 130PDS very very slightly heavy.

Adam

Hi well I have balanced scope as per your recommendations and its def better 🥳.And 100sec exposure no egg stars 🤩

20200505_233344.jpg

1 hour ago, Fieldsy said:

Hi well I have balanced scope as per your recommendations and its def better 🥳.And 100sec exposure no egg stars 🤩

20200505_233344.jpg

nice, have you tanken any images recently, seems a while since I have seen you post anything.

I Took some a few weeks ago but all went massively wrong when i used dss and ended up with just pure white dots on screen so def dss settings a little off lol . Just going to stay on 7538 for now the summer will be a no scope season builders doing extension on house so garden prob a builders yard .

Have purchased a few items star adv pro, asiair pro, zwo eaf, going to mod my 450d . So have plenty to learn and play with . Have been reading a lot on heq5 looks nice just cant warrant another spend , I've got the eq5 to a 100sec expo with nice detail and round stars so looking good.

20200506_010132.jpg

Edited by Fieldsy