NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Controller for peltier pwm fan or single dc voltage?

cuivenion

Hi, I'm currently putting together a cooling project for my ZWO ASI224. I've experimented with controlling the fan from a power bank where I can switch the voltage from 3.7v-12v and this seems to work fine for controlling the fan speed. The fan is a brushless CPU 4 pin PWM fan that I've connected to the DC using just the positive and negative (red/black) wires.

What I want to do is have a control box where I control both the pelter and the fan and I'm trying to find a suitable fan controller. I've been looking at this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DollaTek-Controller-Regulator-Switching-Indicator/dp/B07DJ5564D/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=motor+control+12v+dc&qid=1588179441&refinements=p_76%3A419158031&rnid=419157031&rps=1&sr=8-5

The problem is that the pwm frequency is not correct and I can't seem to find a budget similer item. There are other items like this but either the frequency is wrong or just not mentioned. If anyone can point out the correct part that would be great.

I'm also a bit at sea about the wiring. Can I just connect with positive and negative and still get PWM control?

After doing a test with the peltier and the thermostat i was getting the peltier down to nearly -30c with an ambient temperature of about 20c. This is running the fan at 5v. Running the fan at 12v full speed made no difference to the temperature that could be reached, so I'm definitely better off running it slower at 5v.

If I'm just running it at one voltage would I be OK using something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Module-DC-DC-Supply-Converter/dp/B071ZRXKJY/ref=sr_1_146?dchild=1&keywords=12v+to+5v&qid=1588349702&refinements=p_76%3A419158031%2Cp_72%3A419153031&rnid=419152031&rps=1&sr=8-146

The is the heatsink and fan I'm using:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-CNPS5X-Performa-1155-Sockets/dp/B006344OMM

There seems to be a lot of contradictory info on the net about powering fans. I don't want to damage the fan as getting another to fit will be difficult, If anyone has any advice that would be great.

Edited by cuivenion

• cuivenion changed the title to Controller for peltier pwm fan or single dc voltage?

Thanks Gina, I need the screw in wire sockets because I don't have a soldering iron at the moment. I'm not bothered about the dc or usb port though. The project's coming together nicely, just waiting for the dessicant to arrive so I can give it a proper test.

• Like 1