SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

arp 286

mascarilla.jpg.43d46ccbfafb467e7d1d39621a67819e.jpgHi everyone

It's not easy smuggling a 10" Newtonian in daylight under lock-down, but following government protective guidelines, it made it without incurring fines. Or being shot by the army.

This was supposed to be a leave-it-all-night-and-go-to-sleep session, but impatience got the better of me after I checked that the meridian flip had gone ok and then looked skyward. A nice bright milky way night so can't possibly stop on one target. Ended up with this and m4 and m104 too. Oh,and a spectacular display with Sagittarius' teapot bringing the planets with it in the early hours. But oh so bouncy stars, not good at 1200mm. But enough excuses, and with the saving grace that this cluster has proper shaped galaxies.

Someone posted a shot of a non-boringly-elliptical galaxy in Bootes too a bit back, but I can't find it. That may well come next if I can find it. Anyone?

Suggestions for galaxy capture/what you use/or WHY most welcome. Thanks for looking and keep safe.

700d on 250p @ ISO800

453687433_1-5566(copy)_01_01.thumb.jpg.d1d32f14e18ea3c925c371e465e7e81f.jpg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 5

That is a beautiful image. I bought the Arp Atlas of Peculiar  Galaxies  a couple of years back after attending a lecture on this subject because it is just a glorious book ,but I have tended to shy away from observing these as I feel that the 12" Dob would be inadequate. The chap giving the lecture had an 18" Dob.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Saganite said:

the Arp Atlas of Peculiar  Galaxies

Hi and thanks for your comment.  Must be a great volume. Most seem quite small; you'd need to throw a lot of focal length at them. But hey, makes a change from the proliferation of elliptical galaxies.

I found copies of his original plates with the 200" at Mount Palomar. Is that what you have in the book? It's amazing that we can get anywhere near with just a 10" telescope! I tried to get centre frame in negative for comparison. The stars are in the same place 54 years on!

Does the book have the exposure details?

ss4.jpg.383f26a0af7cdcff86e8485a6511b503.jpg

Edited by alacant

On 30/04/2020 at 16:18, Saganite said:

no details are given

Found them here. Between 30 and 70 minutes at the f3.67 -corrected- focus of the telescope. I think that's the one directly above the mirror in the light path. 

Edited by alacant