ASI1600 dark flats - practicalities

iapa

I have a semi permanent setup; by that, I mean my gear is pier mounted but not protected by a permanent shed/building.

This I do not tear down unless necessary. C8 XLT, ff/fr and ASI1600MM-C (MKI)

For my flats I will just point to zenith and use a light panel and t-shirt to reduce light intensity.

Dark-flats - generally the suggestion is to cover the camera lens then take the dark-flats; but to cover the camera sensor I need to remove it from the rig. If I just cover the C8's collector plate with the cover, that's not light proof.

Any thoughts?

I used to use a metal cap to cover the front of my 1600 and created a dark library during the day. For flat darks, I took a set at 2s and created a master from those. I then used to take all my flats at 2s. The trick is to adjust the light source so that each time you do them the ADU will be somewhere in the right ballpark.

Duh - of course.

I'll do a sample set of flats to get timings, take the camera off, build dark including a set to match the flats

Get the camera back on then my formal flats.

The should do me a few weeks (or months now :()

• Like 1