Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Question about camera on piggyback mount

I'm looking to try out a little photography, using my scope's piggyback mount. Scope has clock drive too. Camera is a Sony DSC-H3 DSLR, 8.1mp. Well i say DSLR, which it is except for one respect- its not an interchangeable lens, but it does have 10x optical zoom, along with fully adjustable manual shutter speed/aperture/ev etc etc. My question is, what sort of things can i photograph with reasonable results, and how, with this setup?

Initially keep thing simple and work you way up. I am assuming you have polar aligned the mount.

Keep the zoom to under 5x to start with. If you can set the ASA use 800 or 1600. Lower - less detail will show up, higher and the image will get very noisy. Aperture should be 3.5 (wide open). Use maximum exposure 30 secs.

Obvious starting objects are constellation as well as deep sky objects like Orion Nebula and Andromdea nebula. Also open cluster of Auriga and the double cluster between Perseus and Cassiopeia.

Even 30 sec the exposure limit of the cammea will bring out a lot of unseen detail.

If the mount is set up well you could go to the highest zoom.

Mike

Archived