NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Head first into LRGB with M81 and M82

geeklee

I was recently lucky to be in the right place, right time to acquire a second hand Atik 460EX.  With some additional second hand filters that also cropped up I thought I was set for next season.  Then along came an unprecedented number of clear nights!  Up in NE Scotland, night is currently happening after 11 and ending just after 2 so over the course of a recent 4 nights I captured around 11 hours of subs on these two galaxies.  Some of this was in astro twilight as I tried to optimise my time Vs manually changing a filter and refocusing etc.  It was split up as follows:

L - 56 x 300s
R, G, B - 18 x 300s (each)
Ha - 12 x 600s

Equipment - SW Evostar 80ED, Atik 460EX, Baader LRGB filters.  Calibrated and stacked in APP, processed in PixInsight.

I captured the Ha in the hope it could add something to the image but in the end I only used a fraction for the slight jets I caught in M82 and some Ha regions in the spiral arms of M81. 

I found this tricky to process compared to an OSC image - primarily due to the L + RGB blending and the histogram stretch pre blend - getting that balance right to be able to more easily process further.  I don't think I've got it perfectly at all, but this seems a good balance to bring out a tiny tiny bit of IFN by lightening the background up Vs some additional noise.

Any tips or feedback welcome.  I worked hard on reducing star size, but some of the brighter ones still look like they were taken with a newtonian almost - I never had this with an OSC.

Click through for 1:1, it's not too bad.

M81-M82_PI-Atik460-Proc2.thumb.png.6f4a61ec044ef7c536c4b7447a69dd38.png

The difference in data Vs my 2-3 hours of OSC I shot a short while back was obviously quite eye opening.  More is ALWAYS better 😅  Just the Lum subs here were mind blowing and I could have processed that B&W image and been happy with it as the end result!

• Like 11

2 hours ago, MarkAR said:

I think you have done them justice, nice colour balance. Well done.

Thanks @MarkAR 👍

45 minutes ago, HunterHarling said:

I'd decrease the brightness on m82 to let some details through and drop the black point a bit though.

Nice image though! 

Thanks @HunterHarling. I thought dropping the black point would remove what little IFN I have, but it' still there (just...maybe).  I try to use the typical background values as I see different brightness depending on what I view it on.  The monitor I have with my processing PC shows everything very dark.  Here's the same again covering what I think you mentioned - less brightness in M82 and the black point dropped.

M81-M82_PI-Atik460-Proc3.thumb.png.8ede8fa33df08e71356a2079db8e3a19.png

It won't be the last time I'll process this data over the summer, that's for sure.

Edited by geeklee