NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR Timer - you may already know about this software

beamer3.6m

I was looking for some software to control my Canon 400d and had trouble getting DSLR Focus to recognise the camera even just for the capture mode.

I am not convinced that the 400d is supported for even this element of the software but in any case it only accepts Parallel port connections from what I can see which is not suitable as my cable is serial.

I therefore went on a search and found DSLR Timer 1.03 (search for this google will find a site - fascinating sky).

It works with serial or parallel cables and does not need the EOS Utility software running if you are happy for the images to be stored on the camera's memory card.

It also works with a USB - Serial port adapter which is a bonus.

You can do exposures up to 1 hour and leave sufficient time for the image to save also. Multi exposures are easily controlled and mirror lock up is also a function which works.

All in all I think this is a great free piece of software.

Yep and I could not get it to find my camera.

The DSLR Timer does exactly the same thing so I suppose it is swings and woundabouts really.

On my version of DSLR Shutter only LPT (Parallel) ports were listed.

Another good option about Timer is that it also supports PCMCIA serial ports in case people have added them to their laptops - or at least it says it does.

The last supported camera in DSLRFocus was the 350D..... hopefully it will be updated soon...

I use DSLR focus to control the 350D whilst using EOS_Util to control the 1000D both at the same time. The 450D and 1000D both do "bulb" over usb so its a handy solution especially with full screen preview in addition to remote liveview. I also like the fact that data is being saved to both the camera and computer HDD...

Billy...

I must say the 450d bulb over USB is a real boon, EOS util does everything you need from a good intervalometer, although what would be really nice would be able to setup a run at different ISO and/or exposure length. I might see if I can get hold of the canon SDK and have a look into things :)

Archived