Staraid stand-alone guider

jambouk

I’ve only just got around to reading the Feb edition of Astronomy Now, and in it is a review of the Staraid guider.

Do any members have experience of it? The poor alignment routine sounds nice and simple (simpler than the Polemaster from reading the review) and the guiding process sounds simple enough.

I know there are lots of people who say stay clear of stand alone guiders, but I’d be interested to hear views of people who are using this, and what sort of length subs they are getting and at what focal length imaging scopes.

James 

• Like 1

The possibility to polar align after plate solving and analysis of ANY part of the sky is something I have waited for. But I rather wait for this function in Sharpcap or similar software than paying 1000 euro.

Christer, Sweden

On 24/04/2020 at 11:01, Juicy6 said:

The possibility to polar align after plate solving and analysis of ANY part of the sky is something I have waited for. But I rather wait for this function in Sharpcap or similar software than paying 1000 euro.

Christer, Sweden

It looks expensive, but I can see a market for it. I have spent around £700 on Starsense, iPolar and standalone guide camera - not all at once, but if I was looking to buy again the simplicity and compactness of the device is very attractive - assuming it works exactly as described.

I often have little time for astronomy, so anything that speeds up the process of getting set up and ready to go is worthwhile.

Edited by Shimrod

If it can do the job of a mount with high precision encoders and give you a guide cam into the bargain, then it would definitely be worth the saving from buying a xxxxxx-ec mount and just buying the xxxxxx version instead. As well as reducign the "faff" factor.

If it can turn a €4000 EQ8 into a €13000 10Micron then it would be absolutely worth the cost 😛

The only question is: can it? And what limitations are there. The videos show that it requires a guide scope (would it work as an OAG?) which already implies some limits to its performance. I suppose we will just have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, pete_l said:

And what limitations are there. The videos show that it requires a guide scope (would it work as an OAG?)

FAQ says it is working best with guide scope 100-150 mm FL. OAG is not recommended (possibly because FL will be too long).