NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Aligning binned/unbinned subs

I took some data on night 1 of LRGB all unbinned. Night 2 I took a load more RGB but made the mistake of binning it 2x2, because I'd read that is what we do with rgb(!) though I don't know why. I say mistake, because DSS (predictably if I'd have thought about it) refused to align with my unbinned reference data from the night before as they were different sizes. 

I was wondering how we all get around this? I know we can get DSS to drizzle to match the unbinned size but would I be introducing noise? If I bin my unbinned data to match it then I've lost resolution? Or have I? Or is binning rgb pointless anyway (AASI1600M, ED80)?

thoughts appreciated, thank you.

3 minutes ago, Notty said:

I took some data on night 1 of LRGB all unbinned. Night 2 I took a load more RGB but made the mistake of binning it 2x2, because I'd read that is what we do with rgb(!) though I don't know why. I say mistake, because DSS (predictably if I'd have thought about it) refused to align with my unbinned reference data from the night before as they were different sizes. 

I was wondering how we all get around this? I know we can get DSS to drizzle to match the unbinned size but would I be introducing noise? If I bin my unbinned data to match it then I've lost resolution? Or have I? Or is binning rgb pointless anyway (AASI1600M, ED80)?

thoughts appreciated, thank you.

I switched from DSS to APP (Astro Pixel Procesor) due to the formers inability to register differently sized images. If you download the trial of APP it would be a good option, and it’s free.  It will scale the 2x2 to match the unbinned data

Edited by tooth_dr