NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Latitude to angle

I am about to make a small wedge for my Celestron 125mm cat. my latitude is 52 degrees. I was told that I need to convert this to an angle ( in degrees) above the horizon. Being a savage I was surprised to hear this! The problem is I can not remember the calculation. Can anybody remind me or point me to an on-line calculator please?

The idea is to get the polar axis of your mount, when sitting on your "wedge" to point at the north pole, which would be at 52 deg above the horizon.

Normally this would mean putting the base of the mount on a surface which is, in your case (90-52 = 38 deg) inclined to the horizontal.

Thanks Merlin66, That was the info I needed! I have been out of the hobby for a few years , due to a dodgey back I had to sell my Meade10". I now have a little 125mm Scmitt/Cass from Celestron so it is very light on a single fork arm. in light of this I thought I would make a wooden wedge. Thanks again!

Clear skies!