Williams Optics ZS 66 mm not focussing.

A fried has the above refractor. It has a two inch collar where the two inch diagonal if attached. He has told me that he is not able to bring to focus. Any suggestions on a remedy please. Does it need focus tube extensions? 

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, johninderby said:

It needs a 2” SCT diagonal. Apparantly won’ focus with a regular push fit diagonal.

https://williamoptics.com/download/support/zenithstar66sd_A4.pdf

Martin,

John and Olly are right, if he is using the original focuser.

IMG_20200417_184551.thumb.jpg.4f0284021009bbb29b5ba145b731ea16.jpg

The 1.25" visual back threads off and reveals a standard SCT thread to which you can add an SCT diagonal.

IMG_20200417_184623.thumb.jpg.7e4118d8d01e3b038b6b9ec0207cbded.jpg

IMG_20200417_184740.thumb.jpg.32c33e027b399450fc07b612252efe3a.jpg

The outside diameter of the original drawtube is almost the same outside diameter as a standard 2" nosepiece.

IMG_20200417_184905.thumb.jpg.2019cd8c31fc2b48bcc381f0ce828c8e.jpg

The photo above shows a standard 2" nosepiece sat on top of the drawtube, it won't fit inside, the drawtube is far to small.

Out of interest how has your friend attached a standard 2" push fit diagonal as you can see from the photos, there is no way to do that with the standard Focuser, it's 1.25" or SCT fit only.

Actually, I think WO did originally produce an accessory that made it suitable for a 2" push fit diagonal, does he have that? Or has he fitted a different focuser?

I'm pretty sure I had no probs reaching focus with a w/o 2" SCT diagonal in standard config.

I could never get rid of the focuser slop in mine so in the end I fitted a Moonlite.

Regards,

Ade

Edited by AdeKing
Clarified a point.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Grumpy Martian said:

I think that an adapter was fitted to the focusser draw tube and the the normal two inch nose diagonal. 

IMG-20200417-WA0017.jpg

Is he running out of inward focus travel or outward focus travel? 

With a 2" diagonal I assume he's running out of inward travel movement.

Is it all 2" eyepieces that won't focus or just a particular one?

I know that in some of my OTAs I have certain eyepieces that will only reach focus with a 1.25" diagonal. However most of my EPs are either 1.25" or dual fit 1.25"/2" fit.

Ade

42 minutes ago, Grumpy Martian said:

I think that an adapter was fitted to the focusser draw tube and the the normal two inch nose diagonal. 

IMG-20200417-WA0017.jpg

According to this thread on CN, there is an in-focus issue with this scope when using the SCT to 2" adaptor and certain push-fit 2" diagonals.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/82593-problems-with-my-wo-66-sd-scope/

If the 2" nosepiece of the diagonal he has unscrews it might be easier for your friend to just get an SCT fitting for the diagonal which would gain valuable in-focus distance and may well let it gain focus.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/william-optics-sct-adapter-for-2-diagonals.html

I think blue and red versions of this adaptor are also available.

Edited by AdeKing

• 3 weeks later...

Focussing issues now rectified thankyou.An SCT adapter was bought as advised. The telescope now focuses correctly.