Coma Berenices galaxies

Nyctimene

Was out last night with the Heritage 130 P Flextube under average 5.6 mag skies, slight haze. Started with the ES 26 mmf/62° LER and found easily the small, round gx 4494, that showed a brighter core region, as a stepstone to the famous spindle galaxy 4565, that was visible with direct vision as a marvellous 5:1 spindle. Next was the Koi Fish galaxy 4559, directly visible, but with rather low surface brightness. Three embedded field stars. The Whale galaxy 4631(8.9 mag) followed; beautiful spindle; the 9.5 mag companion galaxy 4656 not as conspicuous as expected and only visible with averted vision (AV). Over to the Silver Needle Gx 4244 (9.8 mag); a 6:1spindle, best seen at 50x mag with AV (Seben Zoom). 4214 (9.8 mag) directly visible, round. The Cocoon galaxy 4490 followed; 3:1 elongated, even the very close by 12.0 mag gx 4485 could be made out with AV (61x mag). 4449 E-W elongated. Finished with the bright (8.3 mag) 2,5:1 spindle of M 106, that showed the brighter core region quite well. After rewarding 11/2 hours I ended the session, once again very pleased with the capable and easy to handle Heritage 130 P - a lifetime scope!

Thanks for reading

Stephan

• Like 11

Excellent observing Stephan!

Getting that mag 12 galaxy is excellent, last night I managed the nice pair of NGC 3607 and NGC 3608 somewhere around 11 mag with the H130 and a 12.5mm Circle T ortho at about 52x, in direct vision. I must up the mag next time.

Eagerly waiting more H130 reports!

• Like 1