NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quick Report.

Ciaran Meier

Out with the 102mm refractor and the 15x70 bins.  Sky was lovely tonight,  even from my Belfast Bortle 8/9 home. 

Caught Tau 118, double, just before it slipped under the rooftops. Mags 5.8/6.7 with 4.7" separation. Lovely in the frac. 

STF872 in Auriga, double. Mags 6.9/7.4 with 11.8 seperation.  Again, lovely in the scope. 

NGC2281 OC in Auriga. A gorgeous open cluster.  First time seeing this one. At first glance looks like a mini Pleiades. Liked it so much I made a quick sketch. 

Had a go at comet C/2019 Y4.  Not too sure if I got it. There was definitely something there. Very faint in the scope and I thought I could momentarily discern two distinct concentrations. Probably spent an hour getting on target. 

With the bins

M81/82, nice distinct patches. 

M51, not too bad but you need to know it's there or you'll miss it. Put the scope on it briefly and made out the two dim cores

Finally M94 with the bins also. Barely on the verge of visibility.

A cold but enjoyable session. 

Ciaran. 

Edited by Ciaran Meier
Cleaned up some spelling.
  • Like 10

11 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Nice report Ciaran.....let’s see the sketch then....... 😀

Ha ha,  that sketch  will never see the light of day 😁,  was just to slow down to get the detail.   The sky last night was fantastic,  stayed out from 9'ish till 4am.   Best seeing I've had here in a long time.  

Cheers

Ciaran. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ciaran Meier said:

Ha ha,  that sketch  will never see the light of day 😁,  was just to slow down to get the detail.   The sky last night was fantastic,  stayed out from 9'ish till 4am.   Best seeing I've had here in a long time.  

Cheers

Ciaran. 

I do exactly the same, my sketches are like a two year old did them but doing them force’s you to look harder and longer. Makes the whole experience more satisfying......but no one else will ever see my artwork!!

• Like 1