NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nexstar 6 SLT

Hi all,

would really appreciate opinion here...so after weeks of research and help on here I’ve opted for a Nexstar 6SE .(that’s the scope for me I don’t want a dob)..however the dealer I’ve spoken to has suggested the Nexstar 6SLT which we know has a less stable mount but it’s £200 less ...I’m only into back garden observing not photography so I’m wondering if this would be a good deal and to put the £200 towards other bits.   The 6SLT has the same OTA so it’s just down to whether the SE mount would make enough of a difference to warrant the spend.  The dealer has openly said the SLT is not as robust but it’s perfectly functional.

Amy thoughts would be appreciated. 

Having had a 127SLT and a an 8SE I’m famiiar with both mounts. I found the 127 to be just adequate on the SLT mount and think while the 6 SCT OTA  would work have my doubts about the stability. The SE mount is much sturdier with better features and will be far more stable with the 6 OTA.

It’s the stability issue that concerns ne about the 6SLT. I’ve been looking for proper reviews of it but yet to find one. There is a bit of a review on FLOs website but does confirm my concerns. 

”The mount is light which is great for transport but indeed will wobble a bit when focusing. It will settle down after a few seconds and stays stable after. It might be a bit tricky when focusing but if you get the trick it is no big deal.”

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Manufacturers are guilty sometimes of undermounting scopes. I can think of a number of other examples of a rather poor matches. Also, when you get a dew sheild on the scope (essential when maks and scts are used) the tube gets longer and puts more strain on the mount.