NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fsq 106 auto focuser

In my other thread my fsq 106 focuser slips when pointed to zenith so although the scope is being sent for tightening I’ve decided to add an auto focuser. 

As always there are lots of options - lakeside, zwo, robofocus, primulance, Pegasus etc etc. 

What are people’s experience with any of these ? In particular I’d love to hear from fsq owners. 

I would like to avoid adding multiple extra cables if possible so less the better! 

(thanks for sending your images already skipper billy) 

Thanks Ken 

I've used both Lakeside and Sestosenso on my FSQ106 and both work excellently.  The Sestosenso is easier if you don't have a hub as the controller is built in, so you don't need to house the controller box. 

I did a video fitting the lakeside to my FSQ here so you can see how easy it is to fit.  You can also see it here with the Sestosenso.

Edit:  They will both hold your focuser fine, but the Sestosenso fits to the low speed shaft, so has a lot higher resolution and is why I currently use that.

Edited by RayD

10 hours ago, RayD said:

I've used both Lakeside and Sestosenso on my FSQ106 and both work excellently.  The Sestosenso is easier if you don't have a hub as the controller is built in, so you don't need to house the controller box. 

I did a video fitting the lakeside to my FSQ here so you can see how easy it is to fit.  You can also see it here with the Sestosenso.

Edit:  They will both hold your focuser fine, but the Sestosenso fits to the low speed shaft, so has a lot higher resolution and is why I currently use that.

Thanks RayD!

So the sestosenso fits to the low speed shaft without any additional adapters ? In terms of cabling im assuming 1xusb to computer and 1x power supply ? It sounds like a good alternative. Do you know if its compatible with APT?

The Lakeside also looks good but a bit more cabling etc not sure what direction to take with this. 

Thanks Ken 

That's right, Ken, on the stock focuser you need no other adaptors.  Everything you need is supplied in the kit.  Just 1 x USB and 1 x 12v power is needed and no external controller.  

I believe it works fine with APT, and both 32bit and 64bit drivers are supplied on a USB stick.

The only downside of the Lakeside is the controller, if you don't use a hub.  It is pretty big and can be a bit cumbersome to house in a suitable spot.  If you have a hub with a focuser output, as I do here on my Esprit with a Pegasus UPB, then there are actually less cables as it runs on the single one which carries both data and cabling.

Both are very good and both work very well with the FSQ106, I like both for different reasons.  I think others like the Pegasus are also very good.

• Like 1