Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan

Yes it’s a nice scope and lots of stuff on here about them. Tripod is not stunningly stable but for the price I’m not sure there is anything better. The optics are good. For brighter, smaller, DSOs is ok, but this isn’t a scope for visual work on DSOs on the whole, it is for planets and the Moon and the Sun (with appropriate filters). 

Goto can be pretty accurate, but it is a basic end mount and a very long focal length, so can at times be hit and miss, depends how much patience and tinkering you want to do. 

Mine served me well, and I wouldn’t get rid of it, but it is unlikely the set up you'll use regularly if you seriously get into the hobby I suspect.

James

• Like 2

Agreed, I have a 127 mak and its for double stars, globular clusters and although i have not yet tried, might be effective on planetary nubula's.

perhaps someone can tell me if that last statement holds water.

I use the AZ Gti wifi mount with a wedge and love it. It gets used for 3 different ota's

• Like 1

I like the synscan handset, I use it on my other mpunt too. There is a learning curve to get accustomed to it, but it is very powerful device. I would recommend reading the manual from cover to cover once you’ve had a bit of experience with it, as it reveals some of the finer detail about its use and functionality. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jambouk said:

Yes it’s a nice scope and lots of stuff on here about them. Tripod is not stunningly stable but for the price I’m not sure there is anything better. The optics are good. For brighter, smaller, DSOs is ok, but this isn’t a scope for visual work on DSOs on the whole, it is for planets and the Moon and the Sun (with appropriate filters). 

Goto can be pretty accurate, but it is a basic end mount and a very long focal length, so can at times be hit and miss, depends how much patience and tinkering you want to do. 

Mine served me well, and I wouldn’t get rid of it, but it is unlikely the set up you'll use regularly if you seriously get into the hobby I suspect.

James

Unlikely I’d used the set up? Why is that ? Is it not worth the purchase , sounds like a re think is needed here cheers 

No, you'll use the setup, but I suspect many people move on from it if they get aperture fever, or get frustrated with the stability of the mount, or just want to image or observe things which are more suited to another set up. It is very good value for money in my opinion, but I wonder how many people are still using this set up 2-5 years down the line? I suspect some get distracted by other things in life (work, family, other hobbies, financial hardship, ill health etc), and others want a bigger and "better" set up. If I had to guess, and this is purely a guess and not based on any fact whatsoever, I suspect 10% of those who bought this set up would be using it regularly 2-5 years after getting it.

James

• Like 2

I would consider getting a second hand HEQ5 or better. Vastly more sturdy than any of these mounts, MUCH quieter, much better tracking, and equatorial so makes doing short exposures much easier.

Then getting a second hand scope too.

Most of us have bought lots of stuff second hand.

If you've not had hands on any of these mounts, I would also recommend that. You instantly feel the difference in stability.

James

• Like 1