NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope model F70076 76mmx700mm

Hi Paulo, welcome to SGL.  It is very difficult on your first time out when you are not used to looking through a telescope.  In the first instance use your lowest power eyepiece (H20) and practice on the Moon to try and bring out sharper detail.  Once you have acheived this then decide what else you want to see.  Venus is quite prominent in the sky at the moment but through your telescope you will not see much more that the bright light you see with your own eyes. 

On the morning of the 15 April just before dawn in the southeast you will be able to see Mars, Saturn and Jupiter, mostly in a straight line, first with your naked eyes and then through the telescope.   With the telescope you should be able to see Saturn's rings and Jupiters Galilean moons (Callisto, Europa & Ganemede, the fourth moon Io will be behind Jupiter at that time), you will also see our own Moon in the southeast, so that is a good guide where to look. 

Check that you have also aligned your finder scope with the main scope. 

Clear skies!

Edited by rwilkey
  • Like 1

Hi Paulo and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

As per what @rwilkey says in his first reply. :icon_salut:

When lining up the finderscope with the telescope tube, aim for something about one mile/kilometre or more away... i.e. radio/TV mast, wind generator/turbine tower, etc.

@rwilkey - I have just done a search and I think it it is... 'Seben'... if it is, @Paulo Silva can you confirm? - just to let you know, I owned the red 'Tasco' version of this 'scope years ago, (I only had it for about 4-6 months. It was the shortest length of ownership I have owned a telescope). The tripod was extremely flimsy, and the 'U-shape' yoke that holds the tube was useless... sorry to be a killjoy. I know this COVID-19 virus is having a knock-on effect to suppliers and dealers, but I would advise you to invest in something better: i.e. a SkyWatcher 130P Heritage or SkyWatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian. Links to them [plus others] are in this article --->https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes.html

@Paulo Silva - I would like to apologies if I appear negative towards your current/present setup. Just doing my bit to help/advise.

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

Hi Philip, you are advising exactly the right thing, it is not the best of telescopes I agree, but it is a place to start and work at.  Upgrading later is a good option. 

Edited by rwilkey
  • Like 1

It's certainly a fine place to start.

And, yep, get the finderscope sorted sorted in the day time (be careful of the sun!)

They're not the most robust of 'scopes, but you can see plenty with them.

We have one in school.

Great on the moon.

With a solar filter, it's also good on the sun.

Just don't expect any miracles! :)

• Like 1

Thank you Philip, Rwilkey and Bingevader, I understand that I'll have to upgrade in the nearest time. That is our first telescope and we decided not going into a expensive one, and because I read a lot of good comments about this Seben, I thought was a good option.  We got fascinated when we saw the moon so close,  that was amazing!!!! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bingevader said:

It's certainly a fine place to start.

And, yep, get the finderscope sorted sorted in the day time (be careful of the sun!)

They're not the most robust of 'scopes, but you can see plenty with them.

We have one in school.

Great on the moon.

With a solar filter, it's also good on the sun.

Just don't expect any miracles! :)

@bingevader means: "With a solar filter..." he is referring to a full aperture one that covers the end of the tube. DO NOT buy this...

738812906_Screenshot(37).png.f89f51468cec5fa9a157afa9643d8e0b.png

They are highly dangerous!

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1