Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Guiding at or very near the Zenith with a full moon!

Jkulin

Just wondered if it was me or not, but I always find my guiding on any mount at its worst when pointing at or near the zenith, am I alone with that or is it something I have to accept?

I'm also finding that the moon really is giving me grief although I am imaging with NB and the Ha has come out nice.

Anyone have any advice?

1 minute ago, michael8554 said:

Guiding at high Dec should be easier, as closer to Dec 90, so the stars are "moving" much slower.

But you may find the balance is wrong,

And Guidescope to Main Scope Diff Flex may be worse.

Michael

Thanks Michael, I have really excellent balance and I'm using an OAG, the 120EC doesn't like it if it isn't balanced, when not imaging lower down I'm getting around 0.22-0.45rms, but this target  (M97) is all over the shop as high as 1.50rms. I don't take my stuff off my pier so nothing ever changes from day to day, it's usually always a constant.

I've increased the MinMo on both axis and that has helped a little.

22 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Did you run the Guide Assistant on the target?

That would tell you the MinMo setting.

Michael

Yep, I paused the imaging and re-run it, it helped a little but not as much as I would have hoped.

I'm running at between 6 & 9 sec duration so I am not chasing the seeing, as it is moving away from the Zenith it is getting better, far from what I usually get get but better.

As I mentioned it is normally really good, but I always seem to have a problem when it starts to reach the zenith.

I have a permanent pier and my PA is excellent, it just bugs me when I know the mount can really produce some very good results.