NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help with an image of the bubble nebula (if possible!!)

Hi All, 

I have tried taking a image of the bubble nebula and cannot get hardly any detail out of this ,

Firstly i have taken this with an unmoddifed 10d (i have just modified a 300d but waiting for the camera release cable to be delivered) this is taken through a skywatcher 200p reflector on a HEQ5 Pro and guided with a celestron 80mm 

Image was RAW with 10 lights at iso 400 7mins each. dark frames  x15.  Bias frames x 210 . and flats x244 

so my questions are:

• am i trying the impossible and should just wait until i can use the 300d modified above 30sec subs 
  • is it because i haven't taken enough lights 
  • the iso is to low 
  • or the one i am hoping !!!!! my photoshop knowledge is just rubbish and need more experience with this !

On a side note do i really need to take this many flats and bias frames (as these are short shots i thought take as many as possible)

the tiff file is attached and any help or advice is more than welcome 

thank you so much Callum 

Autosave.tif

• Callum1985 changed the title to Help with an image of the bubble nebula (if possible!!)

I had a quick look and, I may well be corrected, I think 7 mins subs on a DSLR is going to be way too long, the sensor is going to cook the image. It's all blown out on the right hand side. I'd say many many more about 2mins would be better and shoot for 800/1600 ISO. What capture software are you using? APT is probably the best option, it can do an awful lot for the low price it asks, dithering, platesolving and better live view than trying to look at the camera screen

Thank you for the quick reply, 

Thats what i was finding with the right side, i thought it was just my lack of experience on PS.. regarding capture software i am unable to use any. the 10d canon will not work on any remote trigger software above 30secs due to being a ....well dinosaur ! .. so i have a remote shutter straight in the camera, the guiding i use is a standalone Skywatcher synguider 

I am debating upgrading the guider as dithering seems to be a must and at present i am unable to do this due to the synguider not being able to attach to a laptop. 

thank you for looking at this an i will try again tonight with lower subs and higher iso . 

1 minute ago, Callum1985 said:

Thank you for the quick reply, 

Thats what i was finding with the right side, i thought it was just my lack of experience on PS.. regarding capture software i am unable to use any. the 10d canon will not work on any remote trigger software above 30secs due to being a ....well dinosaur ! .. so i have a remote shutter straight in the camera, the guiding i use is a standalone Skywatcher synguider 

I am debating upgrading the guider as dithering seems to be a must and at present i am unable to do this due to the synguider not being able to attach to a laptop. 

thank you for looking at this an i will try again tonight with lower subs and higher iso . 

Have you tried APT? theres a free trial version. 

will do, its looking like its going to be clear tonight, so i will give this another go tonight and post my findings, in relation to the Flats and Bias, have i gone to the extreme taking this many or is more better ? 

5 minutes ago, Callum1985 said:

will do, its looking like its going to be clear tonight, so i will give this another go tonight and post my findings, in relation to the Flats and Bias, have i gone to the extreme taking this many or is more better ? 

If you're gonna be changing cameras soon I wouldnt bother, just have a play with this one and see what you get.