SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Rosette Nebula - HOO Palette

Buzzard75

I captured some OIII data Saturday evening and added it to the Ha data I posted the other day. Two clear nights in a row are hard to come by. In fact, last night was clear too. I should have gone out and got the SII data to make and SHO version, but I was too tired from the last two nights and all the Sunday chores. In any case, here is the combined HOO palette.

ZWO ASI183MM Pro
ZWO Ha and OIII filters
39x180s Ha, 40x180s OIII
William Optics Redcat
iOptron CEM40EC, unguided
Processed in Pixinsight and Photoshop

HOO_PS_ARGB_FB.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Erling G-P said:

That's a stunning looking image!

Thank you very much! The first time I attempted this target a couple years ago with a DSLR and a small portable mount it didn't turn out so well. It was one of the first objects I ever tried to capture. I was very disappointed at the time. Since then I've learned A LOT and obviously upgraded my equipment. I'm still learning and doing very basic edits. I'm extremely thrilled with this result. My only concern was the saturation and whether or not it was bright enough for some people. I look at a lot of astro images online and a lot of them seem blown out to me. I did a bit of color balance and boosted the saturation a couple of ticks, but that was pretty much it. The majority of the color is in the data. I prefer more gentle and natural looking images than the bright garish ones.

15 hours ago, Buzzard75 said:

Thank you very much! The first time I attempted this target a couple years ago with a DSLR and a small portable mount it didn't turn out so well. It was one of the first objects I ever tried to capture. I was very disappointed at the time. Since then I've learned A LOT and obviously upgraded my equipment. I'm still learning and doing very basic edits. I'm extremely thrilled with this result. My only concern was the saturation and whether or not it was bright enough for some people. I look at a lot of astro images online and a lot of them seem blown out to me. I did a bit of color balance and boosted the saturation a couple of ticks, but that was pretty much it. The majority of the color is in the data. I prefer more gentle and natural looking images than the bright garish ones.

It looks very nice on my monitor, with the relatively muted, but still very distinct colour nuances - takes on an almost 3D-like appearance.  Would be very happy if my attempts were anywhere as good this! :)

• Like 1

A very nice image, I would be very pleased with that too, agree on the more delicate processing approach.

Bought an OIII a couple of months go but haven't used it yet to do some HOO the rosette is probaby too far to the west now.

• Thanks 1