NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

So thought I'd have another go at imaging Juno as not much else to do with murky moonlit skies, looked on Stellarium before going out to get an idea of where it was, aimed camera in general direction, looked on Sky Safari for star called Minelauva in Stellarium and can't find it, eventually find its just called Auva in SF, wish they wouldn't do that just confuses us old people 😂

Anyway taking a few pic's of it maybe, can't tell from camera screen as eyes aren't too good either 😂

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

16 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Best to stick to the Bayer designation, delta Virginis.

Minelauva is the IAU approved name, so Auva is no longer recognised.

Michael

Don't tell me tell Sky Safari 😂

Dave

10 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Don't tell me tell Sky Safari 😂

It suprises me that SkySafari hasn't adopted the IAU names. I never noticed it, but there are other stars too that have names different from the list of the Working Group on Star Names, even if more than one proper name is listed.

Still, the star names represent a rich tradition from different cultures. Making one name 'official' has the risk of losing those traditions and that would be a shame, IMO.

• Like 2