Polar Position Quandary.

I noticed last night that when I set up the Polaris position was different on the Synscan handset to the Polarscope Align Pro App.

On the handset Time was set, GMT at 00.00, Daylight Savings-Yes.

In the end I went with the App but whey is there a difference ? Images are from a few minutes ago.

IMG_6A9A52B670F6-1.jpeg

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

Edited by MarkAR

3 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Good idea.

Stellarium taken at 12.22+22secs.

All looks a bit different.

Not sure if you did it right.

Turn on EQ grid and center that on the screen and look where Polaris is with respect to "12 o'clock" - like this:

image.png.772568c92ac70f801a6d75fbc63be2ba.png

That is position for my location and current time. I was in alt az mode (not eq).

Be also aware that application might show Polaris position as seen thru pole finder scope - it is small refractor in see thru configuration - it will flip both vertical and horizontal axis - so above image in pole finder will be with polaris at about 5:45pm (in clock/hour positions).

1 minute ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The position of Polaris in the app is where it should be when viewed through the polarscope. 

Aha, image flipped. So App is correct. Cheers.