Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another Question(s)

Hi all,

I have a few questions about the Right Ascension and Declination and polar Alignment

1st Question:

It says to do a process called Polar Alignment. It said in the instructions to make the Polar Axis point south. Then it says "Adjust the mount in altitude until the latitude indicator points at your latitude." I am 33o South, so would this mean that the indicator should point at 33o. What does this Polar Alignment mean? Do I need to point my Mount south and then set the declination and right Ascension to zero before I start finding stuff?

2nd Question:

I have been looking at pictures and diagrams of my telescope and mount to see if it set up right. I have seen a lot of pictures with the counterweight bar pointing down, but also seen it with the counterweight bar pointing out to the side. With the counterweight bar pointing down, it seems that the Declination adjustment make the scope swing left and right, which doesn't make sense, as Declination is up and down. Which way to I set up the mount?

My final question is, what is the process of setting up the mount and scope so that setting the right ascension and declination actually points where I want it to?

I'm really lost when it comes to setting degrees, minutes etc. because so far I've been viewing things based on general knowledge.

Sorry if this is really long winded and confusing, but I'm really confused and lost myself.

Thanks

It will depend on your location, if you are in the southern hemisphere then you set up pointing south, if you are in the northern hemisphere you set up pointing north. Go onto Google Earth, put in your location and this will give you your position details. I think you maybe getting the various terms mixed up. what you want is your latitude so you can polar align the polar axis of the telescope mount. have a look at the following..http://www.themcdonalds.net/~themcdo/richard/index.php?title=A_Quick_Tour_of_an_EQ_Mount

Take a look HERE - its my own guide on simple polar alignment and may help you.

Second question - its linked to the first. Declination is in fact a side to side motion but its linked to the RA motion - between the two directions the scope can describe a kind of X shape - that allows the telescope to point to any part of the sky and track the stars using the RA motion only. The stars actually describe an arc in the sky like one arm of the X - the DEC sets how high up the arc.

I know its seems to make no snese but when you understand the EQ mount you'll see the logic of it. It can be confusing at first - keep in mind the scopes mount is designed to 'chase' objects moving in the celestial plane NOT a ground based one. You have to hget your head around the fact that youir referenece points are stars not earth based objects - some people ( me included when I started ) have a real mind block to this.

Take a look at the guide and see if it helps.

Archived