NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

30+ lights moving across night sky - what is it?

Ultrachrome

I'm not a regular here and only started an account to ask this question, hopefully to some people that might know what I've seen.

Last night, my girlfriend and I were sitting on the porch of a rural shack that we own, far away from city lights. On March 27 at about 9:30 CST, about 70 km east of the city of Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada we saw a series of lights moving from south west to north east. At first it was one at a time very evenly spaced at a distance from each other about a width of a hand held at arms length in a perfect line. As time past they became more random in the sky but still all moving in the same direction. We counted about 30 lights in all and it took around 15 minutes. They were about the brightness of an average star.

We had the good fortune of seeing the Space-X launch of the first Starlink satellites (albeit, I image these to be unpopular here) on May 24 2019 from the same porch a little less than a year ago. These lights reminded me of those lights but these weren't all lined up perfectly in the same way. I suspect still that the lights we saw last night were again Starlink satellites from the March 18 launch but now much more random and spread out. Can anyone confirm this?

Thank you!

Greg

Those are Starlink satellites launched by Elon must, he is ruining the night sky with that nonsense. The latest cluster of them is what you saw, they will become more and more spaced apart as days go by.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 1

Hi @Ultrachrome + girlfriend and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

You possibly saw more of the 'Space X Starlink constellation' of satellites. They are also unpopular here in GB/UK 🇬🇧 - many more too are planned for orbit :cussing: - the sixth launch, (i.e. Starlink 5), was on/or around Wednesday 18th March 2020.

This is a good resource---> https://heavens-above.com/main.aspx - if you or your girlfriend have an Android OS phone or tablet; there is free or paid app you can download too.

Edited by Philip R

Heavens-above website will let you search for satellites from each launch... we have a spread out load from launch 4 in the evening, though cloud messes things up last night. Seeing all of them in a tight line would be “special”.

Peter

14 hours ago, Ultrachrome said:

Thank you so much brown and sub dwarf. This is what we suspected too. Saw a few again last night. 🙂

@Ultrachrome 'Brown Dwarf'', 'Sub Dwarf', etc... that's the 'rank' / 'status' of how many posts they have sent. Your 'rank' / 'status' at the time of writing is 'Vacuum'.

To highlight a member/quote from a fellow SGL'er, like I have done to you; is you type the symbol and add the username without spaces... example: @username1234567890 becomes automatically highlighted in the box.