NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 Elevation adjustment bolts

These bolts on my mount are very stiff. They've been like that from the beginning. Not only that but they are also what I can only describe as Squidgy. When I try to tighten them up fully after making an adjustment they don't tighten up 'hard'. I'm afraid to over tighten. Is this normal? Are they all like that?

Cheers

Steve

1 hour ago, woodblock said:

These bolts on my mount are very stiff. They've been like that from the beginning. Not only that but they are also what I can only describe as Squidgy. When I try to tighten them up fully after making an adjustment they don't tighten up 'hard'. I'm afraid to over tighten. Is this normal? Are they all like that?

Cheers

Steve

they ain't great, just make sure the opposite bolt is loose as you adjust then lightly nip the top bolt when polar aligned. 

Another thing is take the weight off them when adjusting by that I mean hold the mount with your other hand, They are commonly known as bendy bolts because that`s what the do so be careful. 

There are upgraded bolts you can buy which are much stronger but if you take the weight of the mount and loosen one then adjust the other you should be fine.

I had to upgrade my bolts when I bought a 2nd hand HEQ5, the stock ones were bent and difficult to adjust (very stiff), I had quite a job getting one of them out. Maybe it is worth carefully removing the bolts to check they are definitely not bent ?

The bolt upgrade was a good move for me, it solved my stiff adjustment problems, but one of the stock bolts did look a bit like a banana when I got it out !