Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Super Plossl EP

I am a newbie and I own a skywatcher skymax 90 eq1 scope, great little scope as its got a relatively large focal length 1250 for the size of the scope. The scope came with a 20mm Super plossl and a 10mm plossl. I decided to purchase some more EP's and having spent ages looking at comments and reviews I decided to get some GSO EP's from Pulsar Optical. On Pulsar's webside they have a 10 part kit (6.5mm, 10mm, 15mm and 30mm EP's) The web site says they are all super plossls but when I received them they just said plossl on them.

My existing 20mm EP has super plossl written on it and has a VERY wide FOV - so I assumed that a super plossl is a EP with a large FOV). The 30mm GSO ep from Pulsar has a smaller FOV than my skywatcher 200mm EP.

Any comments help? :thumbright:

Oh and also the kit came some EP filters - Orange 23A, Yellow-Green 11, Yellow 15A and a Red 21A , what do I do with those? the only one I use is the moon filter.

A standard 1.25" fitting Plossl has a 50 or 52 degree field of view (except the 40mm which are 43 degrees, sometimes less). In Super Plossls the "Super" bit usually refers to better coatings applied to the lenses and the lens edges being blackened to minimise internal reflections.

The 25mm eyepiece that comes as standard with a Skywatcher 200P is not a Plossl, at least mine was not. It did have a slightly larger field of view at around 55 degrees but I think the optical design (Plossl is an optical design) is a modified Kellner type. I find that a good standard Plossl outperforms it.

John

A standard 1.25" fitting Plossl has a 50 or 52 degree field of view (except the 40mm which are 43 degrees, sometimes less). In Super Plossls the "Super" bit usually refers to better coatings applied to the lenses and the lens edges being blackened to minimise internal reflections.

The 25mm eyepiece that comes as standard with a Skywatcher 200P is not a Plossl, at least mine was not. It did have a slightly larger field of view at around 55 degrees but I think the optical design (Plossl is an optical design) is a modified Kellner type. I find that a good standard Plossl outperforms it.

John

Thanks John that cleared up my confusion,

Regards

Derek

Archived