SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from across the pond

Dr Strange

On 29/03/2020 at 03:05, L8-Nite said:

Hello and Welcome from me too. This is a great forum and I've met so good folks here. I lived in Los Angeles from the 1950's through the mid 1980's and was the construction superintendent for installation of the piers and small building housing the Interferometer on Mt. Wilson. I remember a detail on the plans showing the instrument, and noticed the entrance door specified on the building appeared too small for clearance, so I brought it to the attention of the user and he said "we can turn the instrument on its side and carry it through". I asked to see the instrument which was on site in another building, and it was mounted on about a 4' x 8' x 5" thick slab of alloy, which I'm confident weighed about a couple of tons; so a couple of guys were not going to be able to lift it and carry it through, lol. :rolleyes:  Thought you might appreciate this bit of trivial information.

Love it!