NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Vintage Lens for 600d

I have been reading "Making Every Photon Count" to familiarise myself with what I'll need to get started with astrophotography and come up with this:

Equipment so far: Star Adventurer Pro, Sky-Watcher 3/8" Stainless Steel Tripod, Canon 600D, Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 STM.

I'm now looking at vintage telephoto lenses and the book talks about the Pentax m42 SMC Takumar so I did some research on it. Some people have said that it cannot focus to infinity - anyone know if this lens would work with the Canon 600D.  Wouldn't want to buy it only to find out it can't focus 😕I know the lenses like the Samyang 135mm f/2.0 exist but they cost more than 3 times more (out of my budget).

Perhaps if those aren't suitable then the Zeiss Jena 135mm f/3.5 would be good? Any advice appreciated!

The adaptor used eos to m42 should state allows for infinity focus. I think I recall one member had to do a tweak to reach infinity on their lens. I've got a 55mm super takumar on an 1100d and others use other lens sizes ok.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JudeHS said:

Takumar

Hi. The best infinity focus with a m42 to eos adaptor (on my 55, 135 and 200 at least) is just before the infinity stop. Physical infinity will give only blue and green in focus; turn  the focus until infinity then back off until the red fringe just disappears. They're easily adjusted if you want 'astro infinity' or just a little more beyond physical infinity to play with. 

Being designed for full frame, all the Takumars are good corner to corner over APS-c and very sharp, especially when stopped down a little. 

HTH

Regarding the adaptor... would I need a flanged one or normal one. I believe the flange pulls the aperture pin down and allows aperture to be changed but only needed if the lens does not have a manual to auto switch. Do the Takumars have manual to auto or does it depend on the model?