Cant connect to mount! Image

jimmerz50

Would love some help please!!

I have altair guide cam connected to laptop by USB

I have mount (skywatcher eq5 pro) connected to laptop (ubs to the hand contoller port on the mount)

Mount is turned on 

I have the ascom stuff installed on laptop, and the EQMOD bit too

I can not get the skywatcher app to connect to the laptop/mount as per the instructions below  

My intention is to 

polar aplign

Star align, pref using some software on the laptop  (with the nikon z6 through the scope - ES 102 ED)

Take snaps using backyard Nikon

stuck!!!! mobile phone pr laptop wont talk to  the mount - message on phone is cannot connect  - all bits are on the same network 

Any help very welcome!

Jim 

Overview
The SynScanMobile Telescope ASCOM driver is an alternative to the SkyWatcher Telescope ASCOM driver for controlling Sky-Watcher telescope mounts. SynScanMobile ASCOM driver requires the SynScan App, whereas SkyWatcher ASCOM driver requires the SynScan hand controller.

During use, the SynScanMobile ASCOM driver controls the SynScan app. The SynScan app, in turn, controls the Sky-Watcher telescope mount.

How to setup connection to mount
Step 1. Connect SynScan App to mount
Open the SynScan app on your smartphone.
Use SynScan app to connect to the mount. See SynScan App's help for more details.
You need to perform telesope alignment with the SynScan App before the mount can perform accurate go-to.
If SynScan App is running on iOS, you should make sure the app is running in the foreground with the screen unlocked.
Step 2. Connect ASCOM driver to SynScan App.
Run program that uses ASCOM (such as Cartes du Ciel or TheSky) on the PC. The PC should be in the same network as the device running SynScan App. For example, if the phone running SynScan App has joined a SynScan Wi-Fi adapter's network, then the PC should also join that network.
If there is problem with searching device, you can specify the IP of the device running SynScan App.
ASCOM driver parameters
Read timeout: How long to wait for response from SynScan App before reporting error
Max retry count: How many times to wait for response from SynScan App before reporting error
Shorter timeout and fewer retries lead to more communication errors, but longer timeout and more retries can make some program less responsive.

41 minutes ago, jimmerz50 said:

(ubs to the hand contoller port on the mount)

Is the cable an EQDIR cable ?

43 minutes ago, jimmerz50 said:

I can not get the skywatcher app to connect to the laptop/mount as per the instructions below  

Are you using a SynScan WiFi adapter on the mount or connecting the mount to the computer via EQDIR cable ? The two statements seem to be conflicting. If you don't have the WiFi adapter then there is no need to use the SynScan app. 

49 minutes ago, jimmerz50 said:

mobile phone pr laptop wont talk to  the mount - message on phone is cannot connect  - all bits are on the same network

The SynScan WiFi adapter creates its own local network with the mobile phone/laptop not your internet wifi router. If you are not using the SW WiFi adapter the mobile phone won't connect to the mount.

11 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Is the cable an EQDIR cable ?

Are you using a SynScan WiFi adapter on the mount or connecting the mount to the computer via EQDIR cable ? The two statements seem to be conflicting. If you don't have the WiFi adapter then there is no need to use the SynScan app. 

The SynScan WiFi adapter creates its own local network with the mobile phone/laptop not your internet wifi router. If you are not using the SW WiFi adapter the mobile phone won't connect to the mount.

Thank you Peter

I have an EQDIR cable from the mount to the laptop USB in 

So I guess i dont need the mobile app! But in that case, I dont think the laptop has recognised the mount .. What software do i use? I installed EQMOD and it shows up as ASCOMPAD V2.09.. I go to devices / mount  / connect - but nothing seems to click on the mount - like it does when I plug the hand controller in 

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/03/2020 at 20:10, Cornelius Varley said:

The file you need is EQASCOM_V200q_setup.exe. Download from this page.

Thanks Peter - I installed that but it keeps flashing up and off again on the screen - uninstalled and tried again - but no joy - still dont have the laptop controlling the mount hmmm (ill try an older version)  - I am on an old enough laptop

Just now, jimmerz50 said:

Thanks Peter - I installed that but it keeps flashing up and off again on the screen - uninstalled and tried again - but no joy - still dont have the laptop controlling the mount hmmm (ill try an older version)  - I am on an old enough laptop

Do you have the mount connected up to the computer when you start EQMOD ?  EQMOD is probably trying to connect to the mount but can't. Run Setup EQASCOM first to configure the com port etc then run EQASCOM..

Hi. Are you trying to open EQMod on it's own? If so it doesnt work that way. You need to use another software to "call up" EQMod. Download Carte du Ceil and use the telescope settings to set up and connect to the mount. EQMod should then open up via the planetarium software. Make sure all the COM port settings are correct and your location is correct across all platforms.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Hi. Are you trying to open EQMod on it's own? If so it doesnt work that way. You need to use another software to "call up" EQMod. Download Carte du Ceil and use the telescope settings to set up and connect to the mount. EQMod should then open up via the planetarium software. Make sure all the COM port settings are correct and your location is correct across all platforms.

Thank you David

I am on to that now - lsearching for a tutorial on EQMOD ASCOM set up 

Edited by jimmerz50

5 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

EQMOD can be opened without the need for a planetarium programme. Using the Setup EQASCOM option from the start menu allows you to configure the programme. If you use EQASCOM_run from the start menu then the programme will keep trying to connect to the mount and failing if the mount is not connected. Using the Start EQASCOM option should allow the programme to open normally even if no mount is connected.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cornelius Varley said:

EQMOD can be opened without the need for a planetarium programme. Using the Setup EQASCOM option from the start menu allows you to configure the programme. If you use EQASCOM_run from the start menu then the programme will keep trying to connect to the mount and failing if the mount is not connected. Using the Start EQASCOM option should allow the programme to open normally even if no mount is connected.

I've never got it to open on it's own. When I try it does the same, just continually loops trying to start. It's pretty useless on it's own. Cant issue goto commands. Much easier to start via planetarium.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jimmerz50 said:

This is the cable I am using 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06Y51HSC5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Plugs to usb in laptop and hand controller port on mount 

(Newbie alert - thanks so much for your time guys!)

That is probably the reason why you can't connect, not an EQDIR cable. Can you connect the handset to the computer and run EQMOD through that ?

ps without using that cable ?

• Thanks 1

^^^As above, that's not an EQDir cable. You need to connect the handset to the mount as normal, connect the serial cable that came with the mount to the handset and then that serial to USB from the serial to your laptop. You also need to go into the handset settings and select PC control.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

That is probably the reason why you can't connect, not an EQDIR cable. Can you connect the handset to the computer and run EQMOD through that ?

ps without using that cable ?

oh damn!! got it as a bargain - now I know why

So this one? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skywatcher-Telescopes-Control-HEQ5pro-Synscan-pc-mount-grey-cable/dp/B085WSWWSN/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=EQMOD&qid=1585995803&s=computers&sr=1-6 

(must be one that delivers to Ireland! )

5 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

^^^As above, that's not an EQDir cable. You need to connect the handset to the mount as normal, connect the serial cable that came with the mount to the handset and then that serial to USB from the serial to your laptop. You also need to go into the handset settings and select PC control.

trying that

handset to mount = OK

after that, the mount was second hand so i dont have a serial cable that fits into the handset  - i take it that has a serial on one end and the small phone type plug on the other, to go into the bottom of the handset?

3 minutes ago, jimmerz50 said:

trying that

handset to mount = OK

after that, the mount was second hand so i dont have a serial cable that fits into the handset  - i take it that has a serial on one end and the small phone type plug on the other, to go into the bottom of the handset?

That's the one. You should be able to get one from your favourite Skywatcher dealer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmerz50 said:

trying that

handset to mount = OK

Yes. You need the specific Skywatcher one. Failing that, you may be better off getting a proper EQDir cable that goes from your laptop straight to the mount and you dont need the hand controller then. FLO stock these but they are out of stock.

A lot of member use EQDir so a wanted post in the for sale section asking for a serial cable and someone might have one they can part with.

1 minute ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The dongle plus the Synscan app will work.

Thanks again Peter - very much! 

Ill go back to using the dongle plus the app - but i was trying to get to using the laptop for guiding. Ill get the EQDIR cable and start that another time!!