Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dobsonian astrophotography help!

palazer

Hello everyone, I have a Skywatcher 200p 8inch dob. I know it's not suitable for dso haha! I am however planning on photographing the moon and Jupiter and Saturn. Here is my attempt at the moon which came out great. (Please look at the attached file!)  I used a t-ring with my Canon eos 800D, used PIPP, Registax and Autostakkert. Took around 100 frames kept best 70 I think, sharpened, adjusted exposure,...

So right now I want to shoot the craters on the moon and Jupiter and Saturn when they have a better position in the sky. For this I need a barlow lens. I was looking at the Orion barlow shorty 2x WITH t-thread to screw on the t-ring with DSLR. I think this should give me focus. My question is for Jupiter and Saturn. I've read that the best way is to make several short videos and let the planet drift in and out the video. Later remove the bad frames and stack the best ones from this video. Why is a video better than just taking single exposures and stacking them like I did with the moon?

Is a 2x barlow good enough or should I go with the 3x barlow for the planets? I also read something about using crop mode on my DSLR (APS-C) which gives it a 3x zoom without losing a lot of quality. If someone has the time to answer all these questions or share their methods that would be nice, Thanks!

Moon 2-2.png

• Like 1

Why video for planets? 

The planets "twinkle " like the stars due to atmospheric turbulence. 

So it's usual to shoot video, and run a stacking prog that discards distorted and out of focus frames, and then stacks the remainder. 

You will need to investigate which video mode on your DSLR gives the least  compressed results. 

Michael