Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M106

Wiu-Wiu

Nice detail and colour in the core area there.  Was there more subtle detail that's been lost with the black point maybe being clipped at some point, or noise reduction?  Just wandering as the detail you've got in the core and surrounding area could mean there was more around it too.

No criticism intended there!  👍

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 1

None taken, it has been months since I processed static data, (clouds), and I have done more comets lately. I'm super rusty :)

I did do another process: stacking in APP and postprocess in PI, that usually gives me a bit more color and detail. 153327921_m10649x300s180320idaslpsc11cem60ddlreprocess.thumb.jpg.69fac28828ef37c7a091103f40ef5056.jpg

• Like 2

Two totally different colour outputs - both attractive 🙂

It would be interesting what just the STF in PI applied to the unprocessed APP (without DDP etc) output looks like - see if the wispy stuff is there.  

Edited by geeklee

48 minutes ago, geeklee said:

Two totally different colour outputs - both attractive 🙂

It would be interesting what just the STF in PI applied to the unprocessed APP (without DDP etc) output looks like - see if the wispy stuff is there.  

I think PI has more trouble to align data pre- and post-meridian flip. APP does it way better. 

2 minutes ago, Wiu-Wiu said:

I think PI has more trouble to align data pre- and post-meridian flip. APP does it way better. 

Totally understand and I may not have been clear enough.  It would be interesting getting the image pre-processed in APP (calibrate, analyse stars, register, normalize, integrate) as you've done but then taking that unmodified output stack and putting it into PI.  Then running the default STF against it.  See what's there before any work.  It may be you already did this with the above images.

Doing any sort of DDP in APP then trying more post processing in PI may be limited as the image will be stretched already and non-linear. 

Apologies if that's still clear as mud 🙂

3 hours ago, geeklee said:

Totally understand and I may not have been clear enough.  It would be interesting getting the image pre-processed in APP (calibrate, analyse stars, register, normalize, integrate) as you've done but then taking that unmodified output stack and putting it into PI.  Then running the default STF against it.  See what's there before any work.  It may be you already did this with the above images.

Doing any sort of DDP in APP then trying more post processing in PI may be limited as the image will be stretched already and non-linear. 

Apologies if that's still clear as mud 🙂

I think that's exactly what I did. Everything up to the first stacked and unstretched image in APP, I then just crop, autohistogram, histogram transformation, curves and color saturation in PI.

2 hours ago, Wiu-Wiu said:

I think that's exactly what I did. Everything up to the first stacked and unstretched image in APP, I then just crop, autohistogram, histogram transformation, curves and color saturation in PI.

Cool 👍  I downloaded the JPEG above and tried a bit of work - it's very scruffy (my work).  I hope you don't mind as I was trying to see what sort of detail was there.  I couldn't tease much out the outer lanes with the JPEG, but tried.  I think your FIT file might have more to give:

image.png.b7e481e312f1c368b9099c56c23def62.png

Anyway, apologies for diverting this thread.  You had plenty of integration time and such a close up view of M106 I was intrigued by what extra could be there.

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 1