Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another really good evening.

maw lod qan

After months of things not working out, I finally was able to give a cousin's granddaughter her first look through a telescope. 

The air was very clear so she and my cousin got good looks at the moon and a first quarter phase Venus.

Orion's nebula was visible but most a faint cloud with the Moon being bright.

The young lady, eight years old, was amazed with the close ups of the Moon.

Later, after napping the best I could, I went to the end of my drive to watch another SpaceX launch at 11:50.

Once again, it went off right on time. This time my 18 year old grandson was with me. He had never seen one live like this.

We waited for the booster returning and listened to it streaming live wondering if we would be able to see it.

It was almost better than the actual launch!

This hobby never fails to bring me so much enjoyment!

SpaceX launch labeled.jpg

second image labeled.jpg

_MG_1258 labeled.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Ships and Stars said:

I've never seen a live rocket launch, must be incredible. How frequently do they launch? Cape Canaveral probably? I've some friends that live on the gulf side.

Perhaps you’ll be seeing them before too long, if the Western Isles are getting a new starport 😢?

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

Perhaps you’ll be seeing them before too long, if the Western Isles are getting a new starport 😢?

Apologies in advance for going way off topic here maw lod qan! Yes, sadly I can't say I'm too keen on the thought of a North Uist spaceport to put it mildly. I don't know exact details, but it's supposed to be going in around the Scolpaig area of 'north' North Uist, which is effectively 100% free of light pollution and quite likely, from my research, the absolute darkest night skies remaining in all of Europe and Scandinavia, full stop. LP Map shows it a perfect Bortle 1, with 22.00 SQM and virtually 0.00 trace artificial light. The closest comparable places I could find were a relatively small area of SE Iceland and Murmansk Oblast, east of Murmansk city in the Russian Arctic. Nothing in Continental Europe or Scandinavia was equal. (A bit of Bortle 1 in central Scandinavia, yes, but still not absolute 22.00 with zero LP). Continental Europe? Forget it, nothing even close until rural Ukraine.

I understand the land was supposed to be in some level of conservation zone, but given the limited economic opportunities there, it's been largely welcomed with open arms, which isn't a surprise really. I spent some time on North Uist and can attest at the top end it is incredibly, incredibly dark. On a cloudy night with a new moon where I was staying (remote part of Berneray), my eyes simply could not dark adapt enough to walk outside to my van without having to hold on to walls and railings, and I was in my early 30s at the time. Like being in a cave. Never took my scope however, wasn't into astro then, though I always liked stargazing in general. Anyway, I wonder if many folks there realise exactly how incredibly rare their night skies are? I'm really surprised no one has put it forward as a Dark Sky Sanctuary, couldn't think of a more deserving place. If they build the spaceport, and it looks almost assured, I hope they switch to absolutely minimal lighting when operations aren't ongoing. Ok, sermon over! :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

SpaceX has been going pretty often lately.  Too often it's a daytime shot.

I live on the Gulf coast too. 40 miles inland from the beach. The images are probably from 175 or 200 miles from the Cape.

Ah, I bet my friends could see it, but didn't know to look? I'll give them a shout. Think they are around Spring Hill. They went up to Cedar Key one time and said the night skies there were incredible.

Edited by Ships and Stars

13 hours ago, Ships and Stars said:

Ah, I bet my friends could see it, but didn't know to look? I'll give them a shout. Think they are around Spring Hill. They went up to Cedar Key one time and said the night skies there were incredible.

My daughter lives up near that area and can see the launches just as clearly as I can down near Sarasota and Bradenton. I live a little South East of Tampa Bay.

• Like 1