NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

3D Printed Flat Box -a short review

dannybgoode

Apologies of this isn’t quite the right section - mods feel free to move but seemed as good a place as any to post this :) 

Following a thread I posted a little while ago about diy flat boxes Bill @A320Flyer dropped me a note to say him and a mate had designed a 3D printed one and that they could custom size the nose piece. 

A couple of PM’s later and I had a quote of £47 inc shopping for one that would fit my TMB 105mm frac and having crossed his palm with Paypal, a few days later the kit turned up well packaged and as described. 

Mine came ready made but however they are usually a kit but only require a little bit of soldering. The mask is just made up of layers of A4 to the required thickness to achieve the brightness required and the various sections of the box itself are held together by plastic bolts. 

As mentioned mine was custom sized to fit my TMB and it fits absolutely perfectly. And I mean spot on, just snug enough it’s completely light-proof and has no danger of falling off but slides back off with gentle pressure. They also have pre-sized options for a number of common scopes as well. 

Build is excellent, sure you can tell it’s 3D printed but it feels solid enough and they even include a printed cap for the nose piece when not in use. 

Having plonked it the scope and applied a 12v supply to it I’ve found 2 sheets of paper is just right to allow APT to run a flats routine with minimum of fuss. So far the resulting flat frames look very good and when I’ve finished processing some data I’ll post some results. 

In the meantime here are some photos of it. If you’re looking for a flat box I can highly recommend this one so do tap Bill up if you’re interested.  Note I paid full price for it and have not been incentivised in any way to write this review :) 

10CCBAE0-DF41-4E5C-906A-07CE571749E7.jpeg

21893806-A6F3-4CE3-BF72-E3DDF8BBF8F7.jpeg

C2F1510E-1DF8-4E58-AF10-BEBEA5E071F6.jpeg

DBBA5B7E-0A6D-43D7-84F6-497441E03D74.jpeg

460688BC-E214-46D1-84AC-1CB2F11B570B.jpeg

• Like 4

Here's a flat frame I took as part of last night's sequence.  All frames look very even across multiple filters - very happy so far.  Will see how I get on as I process some of the actual data from the session.

Proving to be a good little flat box...

2020-03-06.png

• Like 2