Dark Nebula Complex in M31

Rodd

I do not know what this large dust complex in the center of this image is called, or even if it has a name.  It is prominent in many images of the M31 disc.   I tweaked the green channel of my M31 and was surprised at the result--clarified things it seemed.  I was pleasantly surprised to see structure and detail in this dark cloud like feature--a sense of 3 dimensionality that was previously not apparent.  Prior to my tweak, it was just a dark smudge.  Now I feel it!  Anyone know what it is?  How big it is? 

Thanks

Rodd

M31.jpg.e502a3ab0f5acda27fde35c84806e33c.jpg

Here's a closer in shot

M31.jpg.9fd5c81a53ff6340f5042fe4c75efe57.jpg  well--not closer in after all....just a smaller pic!  That seems starnge

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 10

Nice images! There is quite a bit of interesting detail in M31, almost like studying the moon! For tracking down if the dust cloud has a specific name or other data about it, I suggest pouring a cup of coffee and opening the M31 Atlas here. 😃

Cant answer your question Rodd,but these dark Nebulae are often neglected in the targets we choose,but their are lots of them about not just dust lanes in Galaxies.

Its perhaps because they are not too showy.Exerlent image.Is this a revisit for you to M31.

Mick.

3 hours ago, astro mick said:

Cant answer your question Rodd,but these dark Nebulae are often neglected in the targets we choose,but their are lots of them about not just dust lanes in Galaxies.

Its perhaps because they are not too showy.Exerlent image.Is this a revisit for you to M31.

Mick.

Thanks Mick

6 minutes ago, don4l said:

I'm enjoying these close ups.  It's very nice to look at a familiar target and see it in a completely different way.

Thanks Don.  Now all we need is a scope that can shoot at 300mm and 2500mm with the toggle of a lever, or rotation of a cog,  press of a button, or turning of an ocular (like a zoom eyepiece).