Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PHD Star mass . time out at 1 hour.

ian smith

Ive used Phd for some time but after changing guide cams my guiding stops every time I use it one hour after starting guiding with the message star mass loss. Its uncanny but I mean spot on 1 hour after starting, everytime without fail.

I run through Usb 2 through a Pegasus ultimate powerbox.

Ive looked everywhere in Phd and Pegasus for a reason but I am stumped.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Definitely make sure you're generating logs and maybe enable star loss image storage.

You can disable star mass tracking but it is generally desirable especially if you're running unattended.

Edited by discardedastro

Looking at your guide log, you actually loose the star 5 times in the first 15 minute run to poor SNR and 3 times to low mass.  (Image below)

Not sure if it's related but you also have warnings about your guide rate (1.5 "/sec) which does seem very low.  Your guide camera is listed as an Altair 178M and as this has quite a large area sensor,  it might be worth enabling subframes and/or switching to 8 bit mode if you are not already doing that to speed up the capture/download process?

starlosses.jpg.db647401afac8745c8f6fbcce9651728.jpg