Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Exploring Andromeda with the Star Adventurer

Ken Mitchell

When your post processing knowledge expand I find it interesting to go back to old images and see what results you can now pull off with that data.

Decided to take on a 2018 image, the first time I imaged Andromeda with my new refractor back then. 

Processing went much faster and easier as before. This also might be the version which I prefer the most, I believe it's the fourth version so far. Every one had something to it but imo this has the most 'natural' look . Also in previous versions it was difficult to pull out the colors but with this edit all they 'appeared' during the stretching with very little need to use color boosting tools.

I'll post the previous versions in the comment below if you want to see the 'progress'. 

The difference with this stack is that I used the drizzle function and custom rectangle in DSS, I thought it would be beneficial as my setup is slightly undersampled, any information on how and when to use drizzle is welcome.

The most obvious error in the image here are the startrails, which is unfortunate, but as I said it was the first time on Andromeda with this scope and the fourth target with this scope. Didn't had everything figured out yet, max exposure time, balancing and such. 

Seeing these new results I'm waiting for Andromeda season again and take on that galaxy again, this time with guiding.

Here are some details on image and equipment:

-

Nikon d610 stock
TS72 APO + TS72flat
settings: 432mm, f6, iso1600, 6.5hrs (60ec subs)
-
Tracking: Skywatcher Star Adventurer unguided
software:
Stacking: Deepskystacker 4.2.2 (drizzle2)
Processing: Adobe Photoshop,  several PS plugins and astro actions

Ken

682556665_andromedadrizzle2newcrop2.thumb.jpg.dd4a38bddd09fc572b8a8d01f2694e5f.jpg

• Like 6