NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice on a Celestron C80-EDR GT as a First Scope

This is my first post here and I'd like to say Hi to everyone.

I have been reading through the forums and there seems to be a wealth of knowledge on just about anything you care to think about.

I have had an interest in astronomy since I was a child (quite a while ago now!), but have never really had the time or the means to invest in a scope. Now I have semi-retired and moved to a hilltop in mid Wales I am going to buy one. When the sky is clear here, it doesn't always rain in Wales you know, you can see an incredible amount of detail, my nearest neighbour is about 2 miles away and there is no light pollution. I have never seen the milky way so clearly before.

I have a budget of up to £500, note the "up to" part, I have no qualms about spending this amount if required, but obviously if spending less will get me what I want, fine.

What I want is a scope that will give me an acceptable view of most things in the sky, with a view to astrophotography in the future. I would rather not get something that I might have sell at a later date to upgrade, rather get something now that will get me started and that I can add to later on.

I have been looking at many options and I would like some opinions on a Celestron C80-EDR on a CG-5GT mount that Telescope Planet have for £479.

My reason for favouring this option is that I would get a driven EQ mount and have the go-to option if I wanted it later for photography using the C80-ED, while possibly adding maybe an 8" reflector on the CG-5 and piggybacking the refractor on that.

I would be grateful for any input anyone may have on this, especially on the quality of the C80-ED as initially a viewing scope under very clear skies and later as an inaging scope.

Thanks.

Chris.

Chris, I've not really done any comprehensive viewing or imaging tests yet with my C80ED, but my impressions so far, the scope has really good optics, the mechanicals are just about right, and the entire OTA feels solid and a quality build. I have posted up a few images both in deepsky and lunar taken over the past week and a half using it.

M42

the Moon

These were shot with my 450d. The first mounted on my NexStar SLT, the second mounted on a Manfrotto Porta Pod (not really heavy duty enough, but it works). You'd need a tripod capable of handling a minimum load of 2.5 Kg.

I don't have the CG5GT mount so I can't comment on that.

HTH

Hi Chris and welcome :wave:

You are getting it at the deal price as I did, it is really very good value for money. The scope gives good clean veiwing and the mount with the 2 inch steel legs is quite substantial and can take a lot more than the C80ED.

The C80ED is very light easily picked up in one hand and shows virtually no Chromatic Aberation at least to my eyes.

Pete

... Celestron C80-EDR on a CG-5GT mount that Telescope Planet have for £479.

Chris, best phone Telescope Planet and check that they have it in stock, as far as I know the C80ED-R GT (GOTO) combination has been discontinued.

It is still available as a non-GOTO version (on the CG5).

HTH

Archived