Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star Adventurer Pro - Balancing

Hi,

I'm having trouble balancing by mount. I have a Star Adventurer Pro with an evostar 72ed, dslr and finder scope. I seem to be able to balance the RA ok using the supplied counter weight but I just cant get the DEC. As far as I can tell, to balance the DEC, I can move the mount rings and use one of the two holes on the dovetail bar but this doesn't give me enough movement. So what Ive tried is moving the rings as far along the scope as I can, towards the heavy side (with the dslr etc) and selecting the hole on the dovetail closest to the heavy end but this still isnt enough.

Is there an adapter or something I can use to give me more flexibility/movement on this other than the two holes in the bar?

I was looking at buying a new medium dovetail bar (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/astro-essentials-dovetail-bars.html) but I'm not sure if this will help move the centre of gravity closer to the heavy end?

Appreciate any advice.

On 25/02/2020 at 19:54, RustyShackleford said:

Hi,

I'm having trouble balancing by mount. I have a Star Adventurer Pro with an evostar 72ed, dslr and finder scope. I seem to be able to balance the RA ok using the supplied counter weight but I just cant get the DEC. As far as I can tell, to balance the DEC, I can move the mount rings and use one of the two holes on the dovetail bar but this doesn't give me enough movement. So what Ive tried is moving the rings as far along the scope as I can, towards the heavy side (with the dslr etc) and selecting the hole on the dovetail closest to the heavy end but this still isnt enough.

Is there an adapter or something I can use to give me more flexibility/movement on this other than the two holes in the bar?

I was looking at buying a new medium dovetail bar (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/astro-essentials-dovetail-bars.html) but I'm not sure if this will help move the centre of gravity closer to the heavy end?

Appreciate any advice.

Hi! I actually have the same problem as you although I don't think you should worry too much about that as long as you are not imaging low towards the east or west. I took this photo of the Flame and Horsehead nebula with the dec axis unbalanced.

Flame and Horsehead Nebula.png