NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Filter questions

Hi all,

As I wrote in my previous post I want to go for a dedicated astro cam. I am pretty much set on the zwo 1600mm Pro. 

Now the question of filters is the next puzzle to solve. From what I read so far astrodon is the kings class not only in quality but also in price. Since the camera already comes with a big price tag I do want to go a bit on the cheaper side but still get some bang for my buck. 

I have found a package with filter wheel and rgb+narrowband filters 31mm is about 1.25" I think for 2k eur everything from zwo

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p10242_ZWO-Kit-ASI1600MM-Pro---8pos-Filterrad---31mm-L-RGB---3x-Nebelfilter.html

But I could also get the camera and a 2" filter wheel seperate and then buy a 2" filterset from Bader. (Filterwheel and filter lined below).  Which would "only" be 1600euro

Now my questions to you lovely people. 

1. From what I read 2" filters should be fine for the 1600, even though 1.25" would work too. But 2" are good choice if I upgrade to full frame sensor in the future. Would that be correct? 

2. The general opinion on the Internet seems to be that zwo filters are somewhat at the low end and baader gets you better quality in that price range would you agree? 

3. The narrow band filters in the linked baader set are 7-8.5nm since I live under bortle 4 sky's and I am a noob. I think that should be OK to get started. 

4. Does anyone know if these filters would work with the zwo filter wheel or would I need frame less ones? 

Puh so many questions! I hope you can give some advice or just leave your opinion if you have one. I am thankful for any input that helps me not to waste a bunch of money :)

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7730_Baader-Filtersatz-LRGBC---Schmalband-H-alpha-O-III-S-II--2-inch-Filtergewinde.html

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p11887_ZWO-USB-Filterrad-fuer-7x-2--Filter.html

Edited by LordLoki

7 hours ago, LordLoki said:

Now my questions to you lovely people. 

1. From what I read 2" filters should be fine for the 1600, even though 1.25" would work too. But 2" are good choice if I upgrade to full frame sensor in the future. Would that be correct?  Absolutely

2. The general opinion on the Internet seems to be that zwo filters are somewhat at the low end and baader gets you better quality in that price range would you agree? Maybe check out ASTRONOMIK filters as well...

3. The narrow band filters in the linked baader set are 7-8.5nm since I live under bortle 4 sky's and I am a noob. I think that should be OK to get started. 
That is also a personal preference ... smaller band filters need longer exposure times and are quite a bit more expensive 

4. Does anyone know if these filters would work with the zwo filter wheel or would I need frame less ones? With your future plans in mind, you could think of Starlight Xpress filterwheels. They are far more versatile than ZWO i.m.h.o.

Puh so many questions! I hope you can give some advice or just leave your opinion if you have one. I am thankful for any input that helps me not to waste a bunch of money :)

Imaging will cost you a bunch anyway... 💰

• Like 1