Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wanted, recent images containing asteroids tracks

For the testing new software to annotate asteroids on images, I'm looking for recent images containing asteroid(s) tracks.  Preferably in FITS format (with start exposure date)  or  with the original file time.

Is there anybody who can assist?

Han

4 hours ago, han59 said:

For the testing new software to annotate asteroids on images, I'm looking for recent images containing asteroid(s) tracks.  Preferably in FITS format (with start exposure date)  or  with the original file time.

Is there anybody who can assist?

Han

Hi Han,

I can provide the original files with fits headers for the images that I used for this if it is what you are looking for:-

I can post up, or e-mail, the original files with their fits headers.

If they are not recent enough, then I would be quite happy to try for Vesta or Metis tonight.  The forecast is looking OK at the moment, and my current target is behind a tree until 8pm.

Hello Don,

More then 3 month back will most likely  give a too large offset.  The program uses the MPCORB.dat file from the minor planet center. Unfortunately you can only download the latest MPCORB.dat version, not one from 3 months ago. My intention is to check the rather complex calculation. The annotation should be spot on.  You can just load a FITS file (or raw) in the program (astap) , press solve button, press annotate asteroids en it should work. The UTC observation time and location on Earth is read from the FITS header or has to be entered manually.

Yes a new image Vesta or Metis will do. 😀  If you can make a second one some time later then the movement will prove which object is an asteroid.

Han

16 minutes ago, han59 said:

Hello Don,

More then 3 month back will most likely  give a too large offset.  The program uses the MPCORB.dat file from the minor planet center. Unfortunately you can only download the latest MPCORB.dat version, not one from 3 months ago. My intention is to check the rather complex calculation. The annotation should be spot on.  You can just load a FITS file (or raw) in the program (astap) , press solve button, press annotate asteroids en it should work. The UTC observation time and location on Earth is read from the FITS header or has to be entered manually.

Yes a new image Vesta or Metis will do. 😀  If you can make a second one some time later then the movement will prove which object is an asteroid.

Han

Is it a problem if the time in the fits header is a couple of minutes out?

14 minutes ago, han59 said:

No, but if possible try to set it correct

It looks like it is indeed correct.  It agrees with my mobile phone.

The fits image is in the post above.  Here is a gif in case you have any problems.  This is a crop of the centre of the fits file above, and another taken 66m later.

Do you want more images?  It has gone cloudy now, so I don't think that I can get any more tonight, but I am happy to collect more if they would be useful.

Hygiea.gif

1 hour ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

This one contains a track (Vaticano), captured on December 30, 2019, between 18:32 and 21:37 CET

I have a FITS file which is rather massive (257MB), so I am hesitant to add it

First the one of Michael. This are the result I get at 17:32 UTC and 20:37 UTC. Looks very good. Thanks!

Magnitude is 13.1:

UTC 17:32

1491990336_vaticano1732utc.jpg.b5c30bdb15cf095c34925f1c05cdbad3.jpg

UTC 20:37:

468790430_vaticano2037utc.jpg.0281fbbb8c3567f63a0f60dd2b817e55.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, don4l said:

Here is Hygiea.  It is more or less in the centre of the image.

60s,  2x2  FSQ106 at F3,6  (387// I think).  I've dark and flat fielded it, but nothing else..  If you prefer the file straight from the camera, I can put it up.

Astap solves it in 0.2s

Hello Don,

This one matches also well. Took some time to prove but looks all good! :)

I'm only a little puzzled by the two dates in the FITS header:

DATE    = '2020-02-11T19:45:42'                                                 
DATE-OBS= '2020-02-11T19:10:42' 

What is the Windows file time of the original file?

Thanks for providing the image!

Han

Hygiea2020-2-11.thumb.jpg.d8d8a8a34f7d5682e277333d8175c216.jpg

Edited by han59

5 minutes ago, han59 said:

Hello Don,

This one matches also well. Took some time to prove but looks all good! :)

I'm only a little puzzled by the two dates in the FITS header:

DATE    = '2020-02-11T19:45:42'                                                 
DATE-OBS= '2020-02-11T19:10:42' 

What is the Windows file time of the original file?

Thanks for providing the image!

Han

Hygiea2020-2-11.thumb.jpg.d8d8a8a34f7d5682e277333d8175c216.jpg

The original file shows 19:11.  The Calibrated file shows 19:45.  I can post up the original if you want.

It has cleared up and I am currently having a go at Althaea and Aspasia.  Would you like thesee also?  I've been binning them 2x2,  if unbinned would be better, then I can do that too.

No binned 2x2 is fine. Yes please some more for testing. :)No need for applying darks or flats.

It is very stormy here but the sky is now partly clear. But very risky with my flap-open roof. And still some rain is coming....

Han

7 minutes ago, han59 said:

No binned 2x2 is fine. Yes please some more for testing. :)No need for applying darks or flats.

It is very stormy here but the sky is now partly clear. But very risky with my flap-open roof. And still some rain is coming....

Han

No rain here, but windy and lots of cloud around.  I wouldn't be able to do 10m exposures anyway, so this is a good exercise for me.

This is Althaeia and Aspasia.  There is a bit of cloud around, but I can make both of them out, and Astap solves it instantly.

AsteAlth_LPR_60s_015.fits

Hello Don,

The last image is also fine for me. The two are spot on.  Thanks again for providing. I have now enough images for testing and can finish the interface. Will be released in one or two days.

Han

22 minutes ago, han59 said:

Thanks again Don. The  new ASTAP version 3.19 with asteroid annotation is available to play with.

Han

Very neat.  I've just tried it and it works just fine!  It will certainly make finding asteroids much quicker and easier.  Thank you.