Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Astromaster 130EQ

I've just purchased a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ for the bargain price of £30 / $40 USD. I read some reviews on this forum before I purchased it and quickly noticed others owners were advised to change the finderscope and purchase better eyepieces. The one I purchased didn't come with an eyepiece and the finderscope is broken - so I have a blank canvas!

My questions -

1) Finderscope - The broken one I have is of the older type that came with the 130EQ. I've noticed the newer 130EQ's come with the Celestron 51630 - do you know if I purchased this whether it would fit directly onto my 130EQ? I ask as looking at the new 130EQ the finder looks like it's on some sort of shoe whereas if you purchase the 51630 separately it doesn't appear to have this shoe

2) Eyepieces - Again looking at other posts on this forum the opinion seems to be go for an 8mm for planets and a 32mm Plossl for wider views. Is that still good advice considering I haven't got the 10mm & 20mm that come with the 130EQ?

3) 2x Barlow - thinking of getting one of these. Good idea? 

At some point I may ask for a friend to collimate the reflector... not sure I want to attempt it myself <yet>

Welcome any advice to get me going and hopefully keep the telescope for a number of years! 

Thanks 

• Like 1

That's a good start but yes I agree upgrade the finder to the rigel and get 3 plossl or super plossls should be good for that scope.

Keep in mind Amazon has cheap ep but dont always get those.

Celestron omni are really good

Skywatcher plossls are good

Meade 4000 super plossls or 5000 are good 

Bst ep are good too

Orion has serious plossls too

Joejaguar 

Edited by joe aguiar

• 1 month later...

I have just got one of these from someone who was giving it away, so going to read through here and then have a go at setting it up, I think the finderscope is missing and one of the eyepieces so will scour for some replacements.....

Sam